Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Gloucestershire EGBJ now has an ILS

Peter, you're going to install an Aspen and a GTN soon or have you made a downpayment on the IFD440?

I take it you are joking

Everybody I know personally with an Aspen has had multiple failures. One pilot is on his 4th one in about 4 years.

The IFD is vapourware.

If I was going to rip everything out (for PRNAV) I would probably be putting in a GTN650 and a GTN750, so I have a usable-sized map to look at. That would be some 20k+.

I've been quoted €48k for a G500 install. That included the then obligatory GNS430W. But I would lose the capability to sort out avionics issues in the field, because the G500 uses some codes which only dealers have. With the long trips I do I like to have the capability to sort things. G500/G1000 owners have only one option which is to fly to their nearest Garmin dealer.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Current MDAs at EGBJ are

RNAV 09 490 RNAV 27 600 NDB/DME 09 480 NDB/DME 27 600

Is this not the OCA fom the AIP? Not sure how you find the LNAV MDA from the AIP.

OK, just seems like a lot of money to spend when you could get an LPV approach put it. I take the point however that maybe you need ILS for training and corporate flights.

EGTK Oxford

...and the 99% of private IFR planes which are not LPV...

Not sure how you find the LNAV MDA from the AIP.

Jepp plates show the actual figures.

Administrator

Sure but the installation cost for an ILS is huge. I would have thought the payback on it would run to decades.

EGTK Oxford

Jason, remember that Filton is closing. Gloucester are hoping to benefit from the ILS training. More significantly, along with the new runway safety extensions they will be able to capture some of the lucrative bizjet traffic that Filton used to service (we're only 30 minutes up the motorway). As Peter says, all IFR traffic will have ILS capability - not true of LPV - so the new kit is an important part of the project.

I'm sure you are right that it will take a while to see ROI. However, we are lucky to have quite forward-looking councils (Glos is owned jointly by Gloucester and Cheltenham councils) who see the airport as an asset for the area, and have therefore loaned the money for the project.

Now if only Glos could be persuaded to take over the LARS from Filton, we'd unquestionably have the best GA airfield in the country :)

EGBJ / Gloucestershire

Sure but the installation cost for an ILS is huge. I would have thought the payback on it would run to decades.

Maybe we can get Darren to tell us but the payback on an ILS is much quicker if you can get new traffic, and a usable IAP (that is, not one with an 800ft MDH which, frankly, any half respectable cowboy is going to do with a DIY letdown ) is key to attracting lucrative commercial (AOC) traffic which pays 3 digits per landing.

Administrator

This is one Of Gloucester's new residents:

MANX2 also run scheduled flights to Isle of Man, Belfast City and Jersey from Glos.

Gloucester UK (EGBJ)

Not sure how you find the LNAV MDA from the AIP.

Jepp plates show the actual figures.

But one can't legally use what is not in the AIP, I was taught? Perhaps there's been a NOTAM, pending the AIP update?

PS @David: the quoting doesn't begin to make sense to me. Might say more about me though, with flu fever glowing.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I've edited it for you Jan.

Instead of : you need to use a single >

As regards Jepp plates, most commercial traffic in the world uses them. They take the OCA etc figures from the AIP plates and use the standard formulae to generate the MDA etc. I don't recall the formula but I think e.g. the type of approach lighting comes into it.

The only people who use the AIP plates are those who don't want to pay the Jepp price and cannot get Jepps from somebody else.

Jepp's effective republication of AIP data has been a sore point with some national CAAs who sued Jepp. I believe this started in Australia. Some sort of confidential settlement has been reached. I have no idea what it is but presumably Jepp agreed to pay some money to the national CAAs.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message