Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Unofficial advisors regarding EU country visits?

Wondered if anyone would be prepared to advise on visits to 'their' European country?

I can read internet articles 'till I'm blue in the face, but there is nothing like local knowledge (as HSBC seem to keep reminding us). I've got 300hrs and competent but I'm a private/pleasure flyer; I've visited France and Italy in my LAA a/c - next I'm interested in 7-10-day visits to the following countries, that won't cost me an arm and a leg:

Norway Sweden Denmark Belgium Holland

As a newbie international private flyer, I'm after e.g info on recommended tour itineraries, airfields to avoid and that are friendly, the do's and don'ts for the airspaces in question and the essential authorities to contact (and with what) to arrange a visit.

Some kind of personal recommends - and a gesture that could be reciprocated in the future for UK visits BTW, might work.

What do you think?

EuropaBoy
EGBW

You should make it clear what you are after. Want hard runways? What length? Want Mogas? And what to do between flights? Walk the quiet woods? Visit historical cities? Steaming disco? Booze?

Belgium's a good place for historical cities and good yet affordable cuisine. Aerodromes are quite many, from the simplest grass runway to the most sophisticated. Weather much like UK and indeed like most of Western Europe. AvGas generally available to visitors, Mogas less good. But (as I am sure is the case everywhere) local pilots will be glad to help.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I'm thinking of taking a day to get to the country and then flying an hour and a half a day over the next 7 days, maybe flying more on one day and taking a break the next. Experiencing the best of the diverse locations and experiences the country has to offer and strike up some friendships with like minded people - is the objective.

Boozing and steaming discos are for the birds . . . not for me.

Minimum 500m hard or dry short grass fine, a/c runs on Mogas, UL91 and Avgas and considering terrain, the a/c climbs at 700fpm fully loaded. Prefer to avoid 'cash-only' places.

EuropaBoy
EGBW

I like the idea. I'm based in Stuttgart, Germany... which was not on your list, but if you are heading down this way give me a shout.

EDHS, Germany

I went to EDDS earlier this year.

On the GA side, a well organised airport, no problems. Wanted a noise certificate which I didn't have (it was in the plane) but they worked around it somehow (maybe charged a higher price?).

I drove there in a hire car and we spent a looong time dealing with the transit to airside. It's a very busy airport; AFAICT you can't just park up and walk through to your plane.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Peter, let me correct... I live in Stuttgart... fly from Schwaebisch Hall... a very different beast, plus you don't have to be on first name terms with the bank manager to land there.

EDHS, Germany

Norway Sweden Denmark Belgium Holland

For Holland I can recommend two airfields: Texel (EHTX) and Midden-Zeeland (EHMZ).

Texel is an island in the Wadden Sea. Friendly people, a well maintained grass runway of 1115m, bike rentals, beautiful beaches, nice villages. There is a restaurant and a hotel at the airfield.

Midden-Zeeland is also very nice. It offers free bicycles for visiting aircraft. Vlissingen, Middelburg and the historical city Veere are within cycling distance.

For Belgium I'd suggest Spa (EBSP): It's nicely located on top of a hill, close to the F1 circuit. You can take a taxi to the city center, or walk downhill (45 min).

Thanks for the replies.

Anyone have a view on the importance of turning up in some kind of official pilots dress - with stripes on epaulettes etc? Personally not very keen, but I read somewhere that its adviseable . . .

Maybe an AOPA ID card would be better?

EuropaBoy
EGBW

Anyone have a view on the importance of turning up in some kind of official pilots dress - with stripes on epaulettes etc? Personally not very keen, but I read somewhere that its adviseable . . .

Link to a previous discussion.

Maybe an AOPA ID card would be better?

The only case I am aware of is Greece, where an AOPA ID gets you discounts with, I believe, Swissport Handling. The other general (and a lot more common) option in Greece is Olympic Handling and I don't think they do it. Currently Greece has free landing and parking for GA but you pay for handling (not a lot usually).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message