Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Unofficial advisors regarding EU country visits?

"Link to a previous discussion."

Full military regalia and/or the more recent phenomenon of 'onesies' are out then . . .

Thanks

EuropaBoy
EGBW

For Belgium: neither. See this thread: for opinions on wearing official looking uniforms - recommended only in Africa, as I recall.

And AOPA is little relevant - the Belgian branch was even discontinued a couple of years ago.

Just make very sure to carry all legal documents, for the rest dress and talk and behave modestly. Prepare your flights thoroughly. Ought to work anywhere, I should think? If you want to fly low, i.e. below the transition altitude of 4500', pay particular attention to military activity on weekdays, there's many danger and reserved zones activated. Check the NOTAM's too, on www.belgocontrol.be

@Lenthamen: I am afraid I cannot confirm your recommendation for EBSP, but it does depend on what one really wants. For myself, the place has too many "new rich people" ("nouveaux riches"), doubtlessly attracted by the F1-circuit. Surely avoid the a/d when there's an actual race, it will be infested by helicopters and no, not Robinsons!

I much prefer nearby EBTX Verviers-Theux: friendly and relaxed, no annoying parajumpers, and quite enjoyable cuisine in the best of Franco-Belgian tradition. The sights around are quite nice indeed, with a couple of river dams, and an army shooting range on the moors ("Hohes Venn" or "Hautes Fagnes")

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Anyone have a view on the importance of turning up in some kind of official pilots dress - with stripes on epaulettes etc? Personally not very keen, but I read somewhere that its adviseable . . .

Link to a previous discussion.

Maybe an AOPA ID card would be better?

The only case I am aware of is Greece, where an AOPA ID gets you discounts with, I believe, Swissport Handling. The other general (and a lot more common) option in Greece is Olympic Handling and I don't think they do it. Currently Greece has free landing and parking for GA but you pay for handling (not a lot usually).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks for the replies.

Anyone have a view on the importance of turning up in some kind of official pilots dress - with stripes on epaulettes etc? Personally not very keen, but I read somewhere that its adviseable . . .

Maybe an AOPA ID card would be better?

EuropaBoy
EGBW

Norway Sweden Denmark Belgium Holland

For Holland I can recommend two airfields: Texel (EHTX) and Midden-Zeeland (EHMZ).

Texel is an island in the Wadden Sea. Friendly people, a well maintained grass runway of 1115m, bike rentals, beautiful beaches, nice villages. There is a restaurant and a hotel at the airfield.

Midden-Zeeland is also very nice. It offers free bicycles for visiting aircraft. Vlissingen, Middelburg and the historical city Veere are within cycling distance.

For Belgium I'd suggest Spa (EBSP): It's nicely located on top of a hill, close to the F1 circuit. You can take a taxi to the city center, or walk downhill (45 min).

@Peter, let me correct... I live in Stuttgart... fly from Schwaebisch Hall... a very different beast, plus you don't have to be on first name terms with the bank manager to land there.

EDHS, Germany

I went to EDDS earlier this year.

On the GA side, a well organised airport, no problems. Wanted a noise certificate which I didn't have (it was in the plane) but they worked around it somehow (maybe charged a higher price?).

I drove there in a hire car and we spent a looong time dealing with the transit to airside. It's a very busy airport; AFAICT you can't just park up and walk through to your plane.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I like the idea. I'm based in Stuttgart, Germany... which was not on your list, but if you are heading down this way give me a shout.

EDHS, Germany
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message