Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

IFR from VFR airfield to VFR airfield (EDFC - EDTF and back)

With some hopes for more instrument procedures in Germany, I’m sharing a trip report about yesterday’s IFR flight. It was a rainy day and without the instrument rating I would have spent quite some time driving in slow traffic on the Autobahn. Flying in IMC was quite a joy – yes it was! – but I also discovered the downside of flying on a bad weather day: you get wet on the way from the aircraft to the nearest building :-))

http://www.stephan-schwab.com/aviation/2014/05/02/ifr-edfc-edtf-edfc.html

Frequent travels around Europe

Hello Stephan,

great trip report again. Next time you fly to EDTF in marginal weather, you might consider a safe cloudbreak by fliying an instrument approach into EDTL (Lahr) and proceeding visually towards Freiburg from there. It can be safely done at traffic pattern altitude of Freiburg, but only if you maintain VMC all the way. There are lots of hills, antennas and wind turbines in the vicinity. Both Freiburg and Offenburg (EDTO) which is slightly to the North of Lahr have claimed their victims among people trying to fly selfmade instrument approaches.

Happy landings
Max (who’s “second homebase” is EDTF)

Last Edited by what_next at 03 May 16:36
EDDS - Stuttgart

EDTL (Lahr) was my alternate and I would have taken a car from there.

The clouds on that day were at 3500ft and more or less scattered at that altitude.

Good advice though.

Frequent travels around Europe

Your nice trip report must have taken you double your up and down flying times! Interesting report. @+Willem

LFBG
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message