Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR flight UK - NL - UK

Someone correct me if I get this wrong, but you don’t need any customs/immigration airfield for leaving Schengenland to the UK. The GAR form is enough.

I hereby correct you The GAR take care of the UK side but the other side will require immigration for all flights to the UK.

So I can leave from Denham, do immigration at Antwerp and on the way back, again immigration required at antwerp and straight to denham, or can I skip antwerp and need to do immigration comming back to the uk, or does the GAR form covers it also.

Last Edited by Flying_Dutch at 26 Jul 16:23

You need to cleanr immigration both ways. GAR form is not enough.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

You need to cleanr immigration both ways. GAR form is not enough.

Great. That makes me an illegal immigrant !

More or less by chance I recently sorted it out for posting on another forum.

< quote = Belgian AIC Nr 03/2013 >

The Schengen Area, within which no restrictions to air travel apply, currently consists of 26 countries:

(list )

Flights arriving from any other country shall only use the official border crossing points when landing in Belgium. Likewise, flights departing to any country outside the Schengen Area shall take off only from the official border crossing points.
The official border crossing points are EBAW, EBBR, EBCI, EBKT, EBLG and EBOS.

< / quote >

Last Edited by at 26 Jul 18:44
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

i fly from Rotterdam and all I do is file a gar and a flightplan.. Officially I need to pass by immigration at Rotterdam.. In practise they either come to your airplane or they do not really care.

Ditto for the return.. You just leave .. And if they are interested they will come to you when you arrive.

For places like Guernsey you officially need to file another document ..

EGLD (DENHAM) ? VOR LAM (LAMBOURNE/STAPLEFORD) ? VOR DET (DETLING) ? VOR DVR (DOVER) ? VOR KOK (KOKSIJDE) ? VOR ANT

This is not my pilot’s cup of tea at all, but I seem to remember that Antwerp Tower will expect you to report at NICKY reporting point which happens to be co-located with an enroute VORANT is a terminal VOR and not relevant to you if you fly (as I keep supposing) VFR. From Nicky expect to get VFR reporting points Kallo, Porta, Alber, and more such as shown in the VFR aproach plate.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

About the GAR, I just file one for departure (not necessary) and one for arrival.
Immigration, still need a 100% quote to be sure although I like Commander’s advise :).

Jan,
Yes it will be a 100% VFR flight since the R44 is not equipped for IFR flights.
I just printed the VFR approach chart and the appendix. slowly slowly getting my kneeboard full, but will sign up for sky demon also, so I don’t need to buy the chart for france and belgium.

My only suggestion to add would be to consider carefully your alternate(s) and ensure that you have sent PNR (prior notification) to them where required (stating it is an alternate).
e.g. Calais or Le Touquet requires a few hours prior notice and only involves filling in a web form.

Of course you can land anywhere you need to where safety justifies it, but it would help smooth the path if there was unexpected fog on the coast and you needed to delay for a couple of hours. If you do happen to land somewhere unexpected, make sure to contact the authorities ASAP (and close your flight plan by phone).

Enjoy your flight – the paperwork is really very straightforward once you get the hang of it and the physics of flying works the same everywhere.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

My only suggestion to add would be to consider carefully your alternate(s) and ensure that you have sent PNR (prior notification) to them where required (stating it is an alternate).

I believe this is generally not necessary. You are not expected to sort out all details about your alternate. My checks are usually limited to “is it suitable for my aircraft” and “is it open”. If you don’t do it like this, airports receive a lot of useless spam which they are not interested in. If everybody who remotely considers the possibility of landing there, calls them up, they will not enjoy that very much.

Sign in to add your message