Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Canada's Torngat Mountains

Some friends and I (seven planes and thirteen people – I was solo) flew up to the Canadian Torngat Mountains, which are the extreme north east of Labrador. It was 44 hours of flying in my Teal (average ground speed 85 MPH) over six days. We had less than ideal weather, with rain everyday, and winds exceeding 20 MPH several days – which makes for interesting water take offs and landings. But, the less than ideal weather can also lend ambiance.

Fuel must be prearranged by the barrel, at more than $6per liter. And if you don’t have it arranged, you are stuck, as there are no airports for more than 300 miles, depending upon where you are – could be 500 miles to Avgas! The fuel we bought is taken 5 barrels at a time 165 km by snowmobile in the winter, so as to be available for us to buy, so the price seems understandable.

All but two of us left for home, discouraged by the rain. I, and another couple in their 185 amphibian, decided to make one more try for the coast, and camp a night. The results were awesome!

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

Those are absolutely amazing photos, PilotDAR

Last Edited by Peter at 10 Aug 07:11
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Those are wonderful photos! I looked up the Torngat Mountains on Google Earth…you were really at the extreme edge of the Canadian North!

The mountain in the first photo looks eerily grey.

As I understand from your post there are no airports. So you simply landed on the water and tied up and camped. How did you work the fuel? They were just delivered to some shore side location and left there, and then you tried to land close by? Any trouble finding the fuel after landing? Maybe it’s the city boy in me, but would you not be worried that the fuel would be gone/stolen/covered by snow and unfindable when you got there?

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Great pictures! We need a detailed write up in trip reports!

Forever learning
EGTB

Spectacular trip and photos!

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

Fuel is indeed the major factor in trips like this. This trip was at the tail end of a visit to a fly in lodge in far north Quebec http://www.rapidlake.com/en. The lodge owner arranges fuel, which is no easy feat. It is either flown in, at a transportation cost of $5400 per 8 – 45 gallon barrels, or he takes it 5 barrels at a time 165 km by snowmobile in the winter. Either way, a big effort. It is priced accordingly. It is the only avgas available north of Schefferville, other than for equally complex arrangements. Prior to the trip, you reserve the number of barrels you would like, he will not sell to non guests. There were no fuel “cashes”, we had to carry what we needed from Rapid Lake, or his other camp Barnion, so fuel planning was important.

The weather was poor for most of our stay, so we were unable to venture far, though I did get one night camping out in the middle real nowhere. As we had not gone on the planned coastal trip we all (seven planes total) were hoping for, come departure for home time, there was a bit of fuel people had reserved that they could not take. That left 25 extra gallons for me. My friend in the 185 and I decided for one more night of camping on the way home – still poor weather. He carried two jerry cans for me in his float compartment, along with four for himself. Just he and his girlfriend and I – it was good to have a buddy.

The weather magically opened up for us, as we followed the passing front exactly to the coast – we never expected to get through that far. We had 24 hours of magnificence before it closed in behind us as we left. We flew the coast up and down for about 40 miles, but could not fly more due to fuel concerns. We camped in Lake Umiakovik N57 22, W062 52 (Google Earth shows it, tilt down to see the surrounding mountains). It is the prettiest lake I have ever flown into! Surrounded by 1500 foot mountains, which look like they were poured rock, with waterfalls off the plateau on all sides. More a canyon than a fjord.

My flight from Umiakovik to Schefferville was 280 miles and un nerving, as the headwind had picked up in the morning. I arranged with my partner that I might need fuel flown back to me on a lake short of Schefferville. He picked one as he flew over ahead of me, and we both waypointed it. With very careful fuel use for more than three hours, including LOP (which I do not usually do), I made it to a runway landing at Schefferville as planned, with a total of 14 liters fuel left (much too close for my liking!). An off airport landing was not a great concern, as there are many lakes up to Schefferville, including a floatplane base with avgas two mile on final into Schefferville. But, the runway is easier. I did learn though that you can fly a Teal with less fuel than you can taxi it, as when I put the tail down, it sputtered. I kept it running enough to get off the runway.

I once in a lifetime trip (unless I decide to take my daughter one day!). It was really worth the effort to see a part of Canada you could just never see close down any other way. And all this in a modest 180HP Lycoming powered plane, whose engine I had had in pieces on the ramp in Quebec days earlier, thinking the trip was a bust for me!

Is there no Avgas at Iqualuit? (Or Frobisher Bay as I would call it)

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Yes, there is avgas in Iqaluit, though it is 400 or so miles north of where we were, and a long over water to Baffin Island. Going there is a whole phase more involved, particularly for emergency gear. I have two friends taking a 182 amphibian through there today, on the way to Norway.

Thank you for the write up, did you have to carry a gun to keep the Polar bears at bay?

I see there is a Thurston Teal on the G reg (G-OWET) which is also airworthy.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Looks great DAR. I wish I can one day lay my hands on a Piaggio Royal Gull and do something similar!

14 Posts
Sign in to add your message