Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Stockholm

Leaving for Stockholm tomorrow in the morning. Looking for tips (possibly from our swedish friends here) on what to do in the city. My first time there. I have a 24 hour stay there. Where to eat? Where to drink? Where to sleep? What to see during the day?

On the return I intend to make a stop at Kalmar for Avgas, since I remember reading about very decently priced 100LL there a while ago (2.0 Euros).
Anyone who can confirm from recent experience?
If not, which place in Southern Sweden has the cheapest 100LL?

Thanks

Last Edited by boscomantico at 08 Aug 18:14
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Gamla Stan, Slussen, Drottningholm, Vasa museum, boat trips the archipelago islands, boating on the canals.

There are (used to be) hotel boats near Slussen (Söder Mälarstrand) that are (were) relatively inexpensive. A little more expensive; Scandic Hotel Södermalm, Scandic Hotel Slussen.

I hear that GA are no longer welcome at Bromma…

LFPT, LFPN

Will let you know, but yes, those developments reported by IAOPA a while ago were terrible. The way the local GA was kicked out of there was disgusting. Also, a total failure of AOPA Sweden.

But for a one time visit, it seems to be OK. Their responses via email were prompt and positive.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 08 Aug 21:03

A boat trip is a pleasant way to spend a couple of hours. Make sure Kalmar is open if you need fuel. I stopped there for the same reason and found evrything closed – not a living soul to be seen.

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Not sure about fuel prices, Sturup (ESMS) is usually well priced as well from what I’ve heard, only a rumour though

Regarding Kalmar, opening hours today is SAT 0800-1000 according to NOTAM. If you still like to land there, check with the local flight club, they can usually assist with fueling. +46-480-15206

I hope it’s not too late

Last Edited by martin-esmi at 09 Aug 12:09

Back from Stockholm. For who’s interested, here’s some feedback about Bromma.

It is cerainly a mixed experience.

On the plus side:

-a big, but GA-accesible airport in a major European metropolis (not many of those)
-the airport is indeed very close to the city centre. 8 km only to the old part of town, so definitely doable with a short taxi ride
-IFR, customs, Avgas available
-acceptable fees: roughly 40 euros for landing and 20 Euros per 24 hours parking (no mandatory handling)
-prompt responses to my e-mails from the ops office
-beautiful ILS approach directly over the city

But here’s the minus side:

-the airport will close in 2038, and while that’s still a long way to go, that’ll be another city airport lost
-the atmosphere surrounding the airport is depressing. The GA terminal is literally rotting away
-a strict PPR regime is operated, with over the top “PPR numbers” being assigned. Maximum parking duration is 48 hours if parking at the airport’s own GA apron (which could host 50 small airplanes no problem, but like they do in Italy, they paint 5 Global Express-sized parking positions on the ground and when these are used up, then that’s it)
-getting Avgas has become a hassle; the airport stopped selling Avgas. The local handling agent (Grafair) still sells it, but if you want fuel, you need their handling and then it gets really expensive. The fuel itself is also more expensive than elsewhere.
-the airport badly suffers from security-mania. No ground movements whatsoever without security. Security here, security there.
-on Sundays, the airport only opens at 12:00 local time
-as I said, bad atmosphere surrounds the place. Most of small GA has now been kicked out of the airport by extraordinary site rental / hangar rates. Given all the circumstances, even the handling agent’s manager is running around with a grim face.

I’ve seldom had such a contrastive experience at any airport.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 10 Aug 19:10

Then you can imagine how we feel about being kicked out of what used to be a relatively accessible and friendly airport, the main GA hub for our capital city.
You should write to Swedavia, the state owned company that runs the place, and tell them about your wonderful experience. They need a serious kick up their backside.

ESSB, Stockholm Bromma

I learned to fly at Bromma. It’s just so depressing what the politicians have gotten away with there. It used to be a bustling mixed use airport – I landed the 152 right after one of Linjeflygs Fokker F28’s and Saab 340’s back in those days. Nobody batted an eyelid. They shut down adjoining Barkarby and that was the beginning of the end. So now when Bromma closes there will be no airport at all for the Stockholm region except for Arlanda. And as you can imagine, Arlanda suffers from airline and security hubris and will not allow any GA. It’s the great European disease – the silly notion that airline traffic is soooooo much more important and soooo much more professional and that it’s inconceivable that GA and big iron can mix. They turn their noses away in disgust at the mere talk of GA. The UK suffers the same hubris – class A to the ground, PPR up the ar*se and eye watering handling fees and security to keep the riff-raff away. Nowhere else is this a problem – I can go land my Cessna 152 at JFK or O’Hare anytime of the day here in the US. I get treated the same way as a G650 with Warren Buffet in the back.

GA racism is rampant in Europe.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 10 Aug 23:03

The other day when I was transiting a busy area, listening in but not in contact with en route ATC, they called me and I think three other light aircraft as traffic to one of the airliners descending through the Class E area to land, but not yet in the Class B or C terminal area. His response to ATC was “OK we’re surrounded, Cactus 123” (with a confident chuckle). I hope the humor is evident, it made me smile.

Pilots running aviation is better than bureaucrats and anal retentive whack-jobs Link running aviation, just as in almost any other activity.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 11 Aug 04:48

“GA racism” is obviously the correct teminology in this sad case. In 2008 Bromma was a very GA friendly airport with a scenic approach. I have often thought about a return to this loveley city but described conditions should be avoided. What has AOPA Sweden done to help GA and fight against racism ? If any legal efforts are useless what else can be done ?

Berlin, Germany
39 Posts
Sign in to add your message