Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Sicily - Palermo LICP - EuroGA 4-5 Sep 2021 fly-in

I’m planning a visit to Alberobello and I guess the most suitable airport is Bari. I sent e-mail this morning and I’m waiting for the reply. I’ll rent the car and stay few (2-3) days in the area. Any comments or recomendations?

After that I’m probably heading to Sicily and I’m not sure where to land Palermo or Catania. This is my first visit to Sicily and I’m not sure how much I’ll be able to see. The plan is 3 to 4 days and I’m not sure if I’ll rent the car and drive around or just stay at one place (e.g. Palermo). Any comments or recomendations?

Fly-in Telegram group joining link https://t.me/joinchat/mxv3QO4yTXowMGE0

Last Edited by Emir at 20 Jun 08:13
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir, I’ve been to Bari a couple of times and not found it terribly impressive. I did enjoy seeing Matera, with its cave houses and history.

Sicily is wonderful as long as it’s not too hot, with enough things to see to last many weeks: Etna, Agrigento etc, it’s a long list. Do be careful to guard against theft: I was in a car in Catania when a smartly dressed thief opened the door at a stop light and stole a woman’s purse, money, passport etc.

Have fun

Last Edited by Silvaire at 20 Jun 14:31

Emir,

Bari is a big airline airport. Poor for GA, and very expensive. It does have a local aeroclub, but they can’t “handle” visitors. Oh, and one thing: in Italy, forget sorting things out by email. They will 95% never respond.

If you want a “big” airport, consider Brindisi instead. It is less busy and less expensive. Has rental cars, too.
No avgas at either.

Puglia has one beautiful city and that is Lecce. Half an hour’s drive from Brindisi.

Otherwise, you may consider using airstrips. Lecce-Fondone is close to the city and is used frequently by bigger GA aircraft. By the way, on the first weekend of July, there will be a huge fly-in at Fondone. Alberobello has no proper airstrip close by, unfortunately.

Taranto-Grottaglie airport is actually a bit closer to Alberobello than Brindisi. Should be similar in price, but I have no direct experiences. Check about rental cars though. And don’t forget PPR, which is required for virtual any major airport in Italy.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 20 Jun 14:56
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Regarding Sicily, try to read this

Last Edited by boscomantico at 20 Jun 15:04

Thanks for the inputs. Hm … so how to make contact if they don’t reply? And where to refuel? What about Foggia or Taranto? Somebody has to have avgas …

If Bari is big what about Palermo? I guess it’s even bigger. Where to land in Sicily with 100L availability?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

so how to make contact if they don’t reply?

Call.
If you really need to write to them, use fax.

And where to refuel? What about Foggia or Taranto?

The only “licensed airport” in Puglia that has Avgas is Foggia.
But given the range of your aircraft, I recommend you just leave with full fuel from home and don’t worry. Even Foggia (which is pretty much GA only) is quite bad, slow and expensive.

Somebody has to have avgas …

Indeed, Avgas can be found at a couple of strips down there. One is Corte de Droso near Lecce. Another one is Lavello (Aviosuperficie Falcone), between Foggia and Bari.

If Bari is big what about Palermo? I guess it’s even bigger.

Jep. Punta Raisi is pretty much a nightmare for GA. Go to Baccadifalco. See the above site.

Where to land in Sicily with 100L availability?

See the above site.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 20 Jun 15:30

Phone them… I have just had this with Elba. No reply to email so I phoned, and it worked OK.

I’ve had cases in Italy and Spain where a phone call “didn’t work” but they seem to be more rare nowadays.

In Italy, re avgas, specifically ask that they will sell it to you.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

See the above site.

Thanks boscomantico, I’m also considering LICB and renting car there.

Boccadifalco Link

Last Edited by Emir at 20 Jun 16:14
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Peter, will you be at LIRJ this weekend?

Happy only when flying
Sabaudia airstrip LISB, Italy

I got reply from Bari – I received e-mail as response to my fax. They recomended to contact Foggia by phone.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
188 Posts
Sign in to add your message