Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

San Nicolo / Venice (LIPV) meet-up 5-7 Sep 2015? - moved to Portoroz

Tatoi LGTT will have avgas and customs, so will be flyable directly from Venice.

I’d only reach it with a good tailwind, but in any event it could make sense to land at LYBE and get a full tank of cheap avgas!

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

For those of us who have neither an IR nor oxygen!, is there a “low level” route through the Alps?

The “GAFOR routes” published by Austrocontrol with detailed weather forecasts are a good indication of the best crossings. Since on of the latest updates, they are also shown in Skydemon (and coloured according to the forecast).

From Southern Germany to Northern Italy, the easiest routing is the Brennerpass (GAFOR route 12/50). About 5000 ft should be sufficient.

Alternatively, you can fly to LOWZ and from there to Carinthia (eg route 40). More scenic, but also higher terrain elevations of about 8500 ft. Or take the GAFOR routes from Salzburg via Radstädter Tauern to Carinthia, with elevations of approx. 6000 ft.

Either way, from Carinthia the very scenic “Kanaltal / Val di Canale” leads you right to the plains around Udine and a few minute later you reach the coastline.

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

I have some questions about the Venice Lido (San Nicolo) airfield.

• what is the transport to the island like (in terms of hours) from (a) Trieste (b) Portoroz?
  • what is hotel availability on the island like, early September?

Also, can people indicate their interest in what to do after Venice? I will be flying on to the Tatoi event and then (meeting up with Justine who will fly by airline) do some islands in the NW Aegean. But there are several days to waste between the Venice weekend (which is a weekend simply because that’s when most people can fly) and Tatoi (whose date is fixed by Greece). The logical thing, IMHO, is to hang out on Brac Island which is really nice – like Mali Losinj but bigger and with a lot more to do, and Split is just a short ferry ride from there.

Who would do Brac, and who would do Brac and then go on to Tatoi?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
what is the transport to the island like (in terms of hours) from (a) Trieste (b) Portoroz?

Why would you not fly to Portoroz?

As regards general questions, I’m flying to LIPV the day after tomorrow for the long weekend and will be more knowledgable afterwards…

the logical thing, IMHO, is to hang out on Brac Island which is really nice

It is – though the airport and the taxi to/from I found quite expensive.

Have you been to Belgrade, though? If not, still highly recommended as a destination as such and for very cheap AVGAS. If I had an IFR ticket, I would definitely dive into Sarajevo, too.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Why would you not fly to Portoroz?

I meant flying to Portoroz instead of flying to San Nicolo which is grass and VFR.

though the airport and the taxi to/from I found quite expensive.

The taxi is about a tenner to Bol and 2x that to Supetar, which is not too bad IMHO, but yes the airport costs more than some.

Have you been to Belgrade, though? If not, still highly recommended as a destination as such and for very cheap AVGAS.

I haven’t yet though often planned it as an alternate. It’s another option, but you just can’t beat islands

If I had an IFR ticket, I would definitely dive into Sarajevo, too.

A very good point too. No avgas though, but that’s OK if flying from San Nicolo or nearby, and flying to Tatoi.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I am planning to fly into LIPZ – Venice during July (I cannot make the fly in sadly) and I am hoping someone can provide me with the contact (email preferably) details for requesting PPR and some idea of the charges.
Do they respond to English requests?
Is handling mandatory?

Many thanks in advance.

E

eal
Lovin' it
VTCY VTCC VTBD

Will give you the details later on…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

You can contact here. Don’t think there’s either PPR or mandatory handling.

Lido Airport

Adam,

LIPZ is Tesséra, the big airport…

eal,

yes, LIPZ handles GA no problem. The GAT is close to the runway 04 threshold.

Taken straight from the AIP… request handling with either:

a) ‘SAVE Venice General Aviation’
- operational hours 0500-2100 (0400-2000) (H24 on request)
- frequency 131.57 MHz
- phone +39 041 2606906/7
- fax +39 041 2606909
- e-mail [email protected]

or

b) ‘Sky Services’
- operational hours 0700-1900 (0600-1800) (H24 on request)
- frequency 131.90 MHz
- phone +39 041 8627070/+39 331 4895449 (H24)
- fax +39 041 2698394
- email [email protected]

Last time I was there (4 years back now), I used Sky Services.
80€ for the one-fifty with no pax.
Expect about 110-140€ total with the Jetprop and one pax. Parking costs almost nothing, as at virtually all the major airports in Italy.

You can ask both handlers for a quote (pro-forma invoice) for your flight.

The nice thing about Tesséra is that you can walk out out of the GAT and be right at the boat terminal for either the water busses (rather cheap) or water taxis (rather expensive) to the city. A first class experience.

The dark blue symbol is where the GAT is. The light blue symbol is the boat terminal.

Still, having seen the places you have landed your Jetprop at, I would say you should use LIPV. No problem. It’s simply one of the most scenic approaches and one of the most beautiful airfields in all of Europe – not to be missed.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 17 Jun 22:03
Sign in to add your message