Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

San Nicolo / Venice (LIPV) meet-up 5-7 Sep 2015? - moved to Portoroz

I will try and join as well – depending on how things at work pan out should be able to make it. W.

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

I have just heard that Tatoi LGTT may not have Customs/Immigration or Avgas. That will complicate any post-Venice stuff to Greece if we want to do Tatoi.

So a number of people who got the early part of the mailshot may have the wrong info!

However, from Brac Island LDSB, or say Dubrovnik LDDU for those with less range, one can do “anywhere” in Greece.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

This is the press release for AthensFlyingWeek 2015.
http://athensflyingweek.gr/index.php/en/newsen
Some other parts of the website are still not updated since 2014 event.

AFAIK Tatoi LGTT is not possible to act as port of entry in any way.
In every AFW event they had AVGAS and MOGAS but needed a pre declaration on pilots submission of registration regarding how many liters they expect to need because the event pre buys the AVGAS barrels.
All participating GA were entering via other international airports (incl. LGAV) where the sponsor handler was offering 0 charges to participants for the whole week of the event (all Greece airports where they served regardless of how many flights etc.)

The entry can be done easily at LGAV Intl. with avgas and customs and handling at 0 (sponsored for event participants) cost since this airport will be part of the event during the two weekday days of AFW2015. LGAV to LGTT is as 10’ flight over scenic Athens but there may not be point to this (meaning leave aircraft at LGAV during whole stay) since LGTT ground op’s for visiting crew are more messy than LGAV with the air displays in progress (tight arrival/departure slots for GA) and the GA apron being in remote location in the airport away from the tents of the organizing committee.

If I were a visitor I would leave aircraft at LGAV (H24 full services big airport) and use its good ground transportation connections for getting to Athens, Tatoi etc. by land. LGAV management is coorganizer of the event this year so there may be total 0 cost in parking at LGAV.

In general, you can declare participation in the event this year and this will give you already 0 handling fees by sponsor handler to any Greek airport you may visit during the event’s week. Final details are still pending but what I post here is based on previous years arrangments and the fact that I know that the event this year takes place 2 midweek days in LGAV Intl. (west side runway and taxiway) and Sat. & Sun. at Tatoi LGTT.

LGMG Megara, Greece

Justine and I have been looking at this more closely. A relatively good plan appears to be (nights of):

4,5,6 Venice LIPV (4th is a Friday so this gives a margin for bad wx on the Friday)
7,8 Brac LDSB (down the road from Mali Losinj, bigger and very scenic, with great boat trips to Hvar and Split)
9,10 Athens LGAV (the first 2-day slot of the Tatoi event)
11+ a trip around Greece – we will probably do two islands over a week or so

She is booking airline tickets to and from LGAV

So, above we have three very scenic locations with something for everybody. At Brac one can stay in Supetar. Athens is, well, Athens…

Brac closes early afternoon on weekdays but flying from Venice is just a short hop (it is tight if flying there direct from Shoreham).

Administrator

I can’t join the September, but have landed with the SR22T on Lido last month. I must say the runway is very smooth and long with no real obstacles from the sea side, except this very low fence right at the sea side. I came in IFR but could just follow the coast line and switched over to Lido when visual with their runway on downwind. In the mean time I received from ATC the weather and runway in use. On the way out, you don’t really have to follow the departure procedure (SID) published. You can also follow the coastline and pick up IFR from there if you want. ATC was very flexible, at least with me when I was there last month. The airport service was great, but the AVGAS price (as elsewhere in Italy) was pretty high. There was a jetprop aircraft there that departed right when we arrived. No problem as the grass runway was very smooth.

The art deco style building there is the most beautiful airfield building I have seen. And where else do you have a little harbour in front of the terminal where the taxi boats can dock to take you on this stunning taxi ride to Venice.

If I would go back, I would consider taking a hotel on Lido Island and take trips from there into Venice. The Lido island is where the owners of a B&B in the heart of Venice go to in summer time to relax from the crowd of people visiting Venice.

The small restaurant in the airfield building is also great. We enjoyed a good espresso there on the terrasse looking at the aircraft landing and departing. Basically, it was great fun.

In June the shuttle boat operated by the Lido airport was out of service due to motor/engine issues. But you can order a taxiboat that will come to pick you up. The taxi boats are not cheap, but a great adventure.

Here is the trip by taxiboat from Venice back to the Lido airport:

And here you find some pictures (in the beginning after the Alps pictures) of us arriving at Lido with the Cirrus and enjoying Venice: https://www.flickr.com/photos/terwelle/sets/72157654273255158

There is an art biennale going on in Venice that is worth visiting: http://www.labiennale.org/en/calendar/art.html?back=true

So, too bad I can’t be there, but I would definitely go for it. And … my wife enjoyed Venice as well. Definitly ideal for bringing your wife.

EDLE, Netherlands

Same great experience when I landed there one month ago with my Extra 500 (turboprop)

LSGL

I have moved the Extra 500 specific posts here

Administrator

Following the mailing about Venice, I had one response from a Mooney pilot who was worried about the grass; he said he doesn’t do grass. I suggested he posts here for opinions, but he hasn’t (yet).

Administrator

When I went to the Backcountry Fly-In a few years ago, there was a gorgeous red Mooney there with black tail. He came every year and lands pretty much wherever the other bush planes land, gravel, grass etc.

Here he is again. If he can get it down here without dinging prop, I’m sure San Nicolo will be fine.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 19 Jul 12:25

AdamFrisch wrote:

Here he is again. If he can get it down here without dinging prop, I’m sure San Nicolo will be fine.

That may be the case, but it’s not right to pressurise someone into doing something with their aircraft that they don’t feel comfortable with.

EIWT Weston, Ireland
Sign in to add your message