Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Looking for a scenic destination on west coast of Italy - Lucca LIQL?

This is just for a quick trip.

It needs avgas, IFR and a hard runway but not customs because I would be stopping enroute.

There aren’t many airports down there with avgas…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ask Bosco, he knows them all!

You are not entirely giving up on Italy, are you?

Not only is Avgas scarce, also IFR airports are scarce, let alone the combination of both.

Let me briefly some it up, starting north and then going south.

Albenga: you have been there briefly. IFR: sort of, but useless. Avgas: yes. Fees: 40 Euros. Alassio is a pleasant little seaside town, just 10 minutes by taxi away. Nice walks along the beach.

Genova: ILS. Avgas: yes (and less expensive than Albenga). Fees: 80€. Genova is a big city. Has its charms for a short visit, but not really “scenic”. Rather take a rental car and visit “Cinque Terre”.

Pisa: has ILS and Avgas, but otherwise a horrible airport for GA. Pisa is also not worth it as a city. Instead, take a car and go to Forte dei Marmi, but there is little going on there this time of year.

After that, there is nothing for a long time. Grosseto is closed for GA under 3 tonnes.

Rome-Ciampino has all you need. A friend recently went there and if you pick the right handling agent, it isn’t that expensive (figure 130€).

I guess you don’t want to go any further south. If you don’t mind the distance though, the best place you could go to (particularly this season) is Salerno-Pontecagnano. Has IFR, Avgas, rental cars, decent fees (50€). Rent a car and go see the Coast of Amalfi, which starts just 10km north. Very scenic. I’ll post a couple of pics later.

If you can do without IFR approaches, further north, I can also recommend Lucca-Tassignano to you. Has Avgas. Fees lowish (30€). In case of need, you could shoot the ILS at Pisa and fly over VFR (requires OK-ish weather though, since the terrain in between is hilly). Lucca is a very nice medium-size city, fully enclosed by medieval walls. You can also take the train from the centre of Lucca and be in Florence one hour later. Also, from Lucca you can get to the sea (Viareggio) very quickly.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 12 Nov 17:19
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Lucca is a very nice medium-size city, fully enclosed by medieval walls. You can also take the train from the centre of Lucca and be in Florence one hour later. Also, from Lucca you can get to the sea (Viareggio) very quickly.

Peter, Lucca is definitely worth seeing, IMHO the most interesting town in that part of Italy and great for walking. I’ve been there many times visiting a friend who grew up there and now lives in Viareggio – which is more of a standard Italian beach resort, except for the fancy yacht construction.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 12 Nov 18:19

Yes, I liked Lucca a lot (Bosco is right, Pisa is pretty boring). And I think that CATANIA has Avgas too.

no ifr
but avgas, jet, mogas
and brilliant foood and swiming pool
runway should be long enought for tb20
extreme friendly folks on site

http://www.aeroclubserristori.it/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12&Itemid=117

fly2000

LIQQ is in the middle of Italy

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Genova: ILS. Avgas: yes (and less expensive than Albenga). Fees: 80€. Genova is a big city. Has its charms for a short visit, but not really “scenic”. Rather take a rental car and visit “Cinque Terre”.

+1 for Genoa and the Cinque Terre. Just one thing – if going there, do NOT rent a car, take a train. Getting down to these villages by car is a right royal PITA. The train drops you smack in the middle of them and connect one to the other(s) in a few minutes through tunnels. By car you have to drive all the way up the mountain to the Autostrada (or almost) and then back down. Another great place and closer to Genoa is Camogli.

Sorry for being a little bit off topic, but anyone here who knows the current status of Siena (LIQS)? Maybe Bosco, do you have any information?

The field was more or less closed for quite a while, now the AIP says it is available for VFR/IFR, but when I planned a trip down there the STAR etc. were not available. So I am a bit confused on what is really going on … My emails to the airport authority haven’t been answered so far, unfortunately.

Siena is such a beautiful city, and all the region to the south (Crete Senesi) is so lovely, I am planning to fly there for a couple of years already …

B5689/14 NOTAMR B3921/14
Q) LIRR/QFALC/IV/NBO/A/000/999/4315N01115E005
A) LIQS B) 1410080621 C) 1501052359 EST
E) AERODROME CLOSED TO ALL TRAFFIC EXC LOCAL AEROCLUBS
DUE TO FIREFIGHTING AND RESCUE SER NOT AVAILABLE.
REF AIP AD 2 LIQS 1-1

see also Pireps for LIQS under www.eddh.de (Philipp Tiemann “B.”) – airport operator obviously went bankrupt

EDxx, Germany
50 Posts
Sign in to add your message