Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Looking for a scenic destination on west coast of Italy - Lucca LIQL?

Thanx nobbi!

+1 for Camogli & Lucca.

Last Edited by Shorrick_Mk2 at 14 Nov 09:10

Lucca is the current favourite. Many thanks all for the feedback

Is the current VFR chart for that part of Italy online somewhere, or available fairly cheaply? I have the latest (2013) Jepp VFR charts for Europe, running as a moving map, but I know some of Italy has changed.

The French VFR chart (a part of the flight to Italy will be VFR) is online now, free of charge.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Wolfi and Peter,

I will reply later tonight.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 14 Nov 13:35
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Wolfi,

nobbi copied the NOTAM. The airport operator went bankrupt almost two years ago. Obviously, without any commercial traffic and no IFR ops, it doesn’t take much to operate a minor airport like that. Not even an A/G service is legally required. What is required during flight operations however is fire fighting personell and equipment. This is now performed by the local aeroclub during weekends (or whenever else they want to fly).

So, the airport is not regularly open but neither totally closed. Visitors who want to land there absolutely have to coordinate with the aeroclub to be allowed to land. The trouble for foreigners is that they definitely need PPR and that these aeroclub people (as opposed to “commercial airport staff”) do not necessarily speak English, so it becomes a bit more difficult for non-Italian speakers to sort it all out. If you really want to go, I can sure help.

What happened at Siena happens in other places, too. At Rimini (a big IFR airport) the same happened a few weaks ago. The airport is now currently being “operated” on a voluntary basis by the (smallish) local aeroclub (!). The city is more than happy with that, since it is for them a very cost-effective way of kepping the airport “open” at very little cost…

In general, in Italy, it is very important to always study the NOTAMs, even in the very first planning stage, because they tend to publish a lot of vital stuff via NOTAM, even for long periods of time. The AIP itself can sometimes be years out of date, since updates take place via NOTAM. A few airports – which have been closed for years – still show up in the AIP as if the were operating normally. So: always read the NOTAMs straight away.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 14 Nov 22:18

Peter, the current italian VFR maps can be downloaded from either the ENAV website (needs a login, but has an English version) or from the EAD database. You will need the sheets “Milano” and “Toscana” for the trip.

Still on Lucca, see here for their English website.

BTW, if you change your mind and want to fly direct from the UK: they do have customs/immigration by prior notice, even though the AIP does not say so. It costs 30 Euros extra.

Bosco, thank you. Stupid me, I simply forgot to check the NOTAMS in this case just because being that surprised by checking the AIP with finding LIQS being activ. I went to LIQS by car this year in spring, the field is perfectly located for my frequent trips into the Montalcino are, much better than LIRQ of course.

Thanks for offering language support, however, I would remain sceptical with what might happens down there upon request of refuelling, setting up an IFR flightplan and all of that stuff. On the other side I see you being located in EDFE at least partially, so do I – I will come back to you in that matter in spring 2015 at the latest, let’s have a (non-alcoholic) beer maybe at Schuhbeck’s and discuss about how to proceed into LIQS.

they do have customs/immigration by prior notice, even though the AIP does not say so. It costs 30 Euros extra.

Would this not be applicable? Or maybe it is exactly what you refer to, with the difference that the AIP says NO for Lucca.

I plan to stop in France anyway, but it’s worth knowing. Being able to do some places in Italy direct from the UK would be useful.

I’ve edited the thread title to Lucca.

Administrator

Yes and no.

Yes, you could fly UK direct to Lucca thanks to the mentioned provision in the Italian AIP, but that provision requires you to make certain pre-notifications (as written in the AIP). The text is a bit dodgy and I have little experience with that.

However, the Lucca website talks about customs, so what they say is that even flights from say Switzerland to Lucca are possible if you let them know in advance. So if that is true, then the AIP is definitely wrong here.

I am trying to create a login for the ENAV site but there is no register / sign-up option that I can see So I emailed them.

Edit: someone very clever found it for me… now I am inside but can’t find the charts section. I found the AIP

Administrator
Sign in to add your message