Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aero Friedrichshafen 2015 15-18 April

Some piccies…

On the way there.

Loads of multicopters there. This one had a thermal imaging camera on it, and used direct drive brushless motors for the gimbals:

DA-50 with the new engine

Meridian

Some interesting (and tiny) turboprop engines

Rotary engines too

And as usual, lots of very similar looking LSAs

The only one that caught my eye here was the Tarragon, which looked quite nice:

Partially constructed Tarragon wing:

Dismantled O-540 hanging from the ceiling

Gigantic DA-62

Some stuff outside

Heading home, with Chris and Airborne Again behind us

The Dornier Museum

Nice view on departure

Arrival at Shoreham

A fun trip, and nice meeting you all.

United Kingdom

Here’s a picture of the cool guy with the longest flight to Aero ;-))

Seeing all those pics of EDNY, and hearing about all the hassle to do with getting a slot, keeping a slot, difficult ATC, refuelling issues, hotel rooms etc made me think I’d mention what I do as an alternative. For the last couple of years we have flown into Memmingen EDJA. As I see it the advantages of EDJA are:

• very friendly airport and ATC (both for IFR and VFR)
  • hard parking for all (no pulling aircraft around on wet grass)
  • efficient refuelling (we were refuelled within 10 minutes of landing, despite a Ryanair following us down the ILS)
  • car hire at the airport, and only about 45 mins to Friedrichshafen. (We were out of the airport within 50 mins of landing, including getting the hire car)
  • NO SLOT NEEDED!
  • town of Memmingen – good hotels, easy availability at reasonable prices

Even if I needed to have a hotel in Friedrichshafen, I’d still probably fly into Memmingen and drive over.

TJ
Cambridge EGSC

Interesting idea TJ. Incidentally I filed Memmingen as one of my alternates.

Oxford and Bidford

I think the basic lesson from this year’s anally retarded jobsworths at EDNY (is it currently the Swiss or the Austrians who run ground OPS under a contract?) is that, for IFR

• you must have a slot, and
  • you must hack your filed flight plan so the ETA on the flight plan falls within the slot

If you do this, you will be fine. If you fail, they will stick their middle finger up to teach you a lesson about who is in charge, with zero flexibility

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

And here’s the video of the flights from Fairoaks to Friedrichshafen and on to Annemasse.

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

Hi Chris,
do i see this right, you climbing out in Fairoaks very slowly? at least on the videos it looks like you do not climb strait after take off. Thanks for posting.
Regards
Lucas

On one of Peters pictures, with the DA62 in front, there is a little airframe in left hand background, according friend it is a kind of DA20 with a 3 cylinder Diesel Engine. But they could’t find out more. Anyone in here more knowledge ?

Lucas

do i see this right, you climbing out in Fairoaks very slowly? at least on the videos it looks like you do not climb strait after take off.

No, we are climbing but I like to accelerate to 125 kt (cruise climb speed) ASAP, especially when I’m heavy.

Link

Spending too long online
EGTF Fairoaks, EGLL Heathrow, United Kingdom

Good video. I see the speed readout on the bottom left of the picture went wrong towards the end of the flight, was that a fault with the VIRB?

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)
Sign in to add your message