Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Aero Friedrichshafen 2015 15-18 April

Everytime I land IFR my wife gets an automatic text message from RocketRoute …“G-YORC landed …”. How does that work then?

It’s a fake… most of the time.

Last Edited by achimha at 19 Apr 15:29

But it was always correct, really!

Yes just as much as I’m virtually always correct in saying that after approach you will land because statistically you do that instead of crashing or diverting VFR. Still, I would not call your wife and tell her you landed just based on that statistical experience.

Think about it…

I didn’t say it is correct, nor did I say it is correct. I am asking questions, and I am wondering. I do not know how that system works and if I am honest I am only interested in it to a certain degree …

So they send that SMS based on the fact that I am on the approach, or what?

if I am honest I am only interested in it to a certain degree …

Then I see no reason to explain any further…

Ok, yes I am interested in how the landing message works. I only wanted to express that I am maybe not as interested in all technical details like you are. I hope you can tolerate that :-)

Please explain!

Well, as I mentioned before they just extrapolate from the approach and assume a landing is happening. This is not based on knowledge but on assumption.

We do not do this because I think it is not right, you’re giving certainty where you can’t. It’s like watching somebody go to the toilet and lock the door. You have a certain idea what is going to happen in there and you are mostly right but you can’t know.

Whenever we have information about a landing, we set the state accordingly. Maybe the majority of users prefer the “cheat” method and we should do it like that as well but so far I don’t feel comfortable doing it. Technically it would be trivial.

No, i do not prefer beeing cheated. I was just not aware that the message is somewhat “virtual”. Does that mean that the message will be correct when i land on a controlled airport with a tower?

Sometimes, it really depends. More often than not there is no landing message from controlled aerodromes. There can be a “inside the zone of the airport of destination” status but that still is not a landing — you could still crash or cancel IFR and fly somewhere else. On the other hand, we virtually always get an ARR message from uncontrolled airfields in Germany, when the Flugleiter phones/faxes/mails AIS with the landing message. That can take a while though.

Sign in to add your message