Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Skiing in Austria (merged threads)

I found the star rating very subjective

The star rating is quite objective, but it measures only what services are provided — not the quality of those services.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The people comments on trip advisor are then confusing * rating to quality and therefore money. Usually it appears star rating is synonymous to expensive at least thats what Ive seen.

KHTO, LHTL

Mutters, near Innsbruck, is a good site for advanced skiers anytime December onwards (artificial snow) or beginners (real snow and large areas of it) January onwards.

From Zell am See, there is a direct train to Innsbruck which takes about 2hrs. One person thought there is a change at innsbruck with a 5 min overlap but they weren’t sure. Then there is a tram from innsbruck to Mutters.

The buses are free to anybody who looks like a skier. A ski backpack will do This is really amazing.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

LOWI (Innsbruck) is a great base for both skiing and discovering the city, but it’s usability for GA during the peak winter season is severely restricted:

E) URGENT INFORMATION TO ALL OPERATORS:
DUE TU LIMITED SPACE AVAILABLE THE FOLLOWING PARKING RESTRICTIONS.
ARE APPLICABLE EFFECTIVE 16 DEC 2015 – VALID UNTIL 3 APR 2016 FOR ALL
FLTS EXCEPT SCHEDULED AND SERIAL-CHARTER FLTS:
NO LONG TERM-PARKING (MORE THAN 1 HOUR) PERMITTED AT INNSBRUCK
(LOWI/INN) IN THE FOLLOWING TIME-RANGE:
MONDAY JAN 04 2016 0500 UTC UNTIL WEDNESDAY JAN 06 2016 1800 UTC.
IN THE MENTIONED TIME-RANGES A MAXIMUM TURNAROUND-TIME OF 60 MIN
WILL BE ACCEPTED.

A2262/15 NOTAMN
Q) LOVV/QFALT/IV/NBO/A /000/999/4716N01121E005
A) LOWI B) 1512161800 C) 1603091800 EST
E) URGENT INFORMATION TO ALL OPERATORS:
DUE TU LIMITED SPACE AVAILABLE THE FOLLOWING PARKING RESTRICTIONS.
ARE APPLICABLE EFFECTIVE 16 DEC 2015 – VALID UNTIL 3 APR 2016 FOR ALL
FLTS EXCEPT SCHEDULED AND SERIAL-CHARTER FLTS:
NO LONG TERM-PARKING (MORE THAN 1 HOUR) PERMITTED AT INNSBRUCK
(LOWI/INN) IN THE FOLLOWING TIME-RANGE:
WEDNESDAY 1800 UTC UNTIL SUNDAY 1800 UTC
IN THE MENTIONED TIME-RANGES A MAXIMUM TURNAROUND-TIME OF 60 MIN
WILL BE ACCEPTED.

LOWZ (Zell am See) is immediately next to a nice skiing area that is both fine for beginners and more advanced skiers (Schmittenhöhe). There are several other skiing areas, including Kaprun with the Kitzsteinhorn glacier, with good public transport connections nearby. More ore less the same applies to St. Johann (LOIJ).

Both airfields are VFR only, however, and especially in LOWZ there tends to be a lot of fog in winter due to the adjacent lake.

Last Edited by blueline at 14 Dec 08:32
LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Kaprun is a very nice family ski area, and it is very close from LOWZ, I like that one a lot.

I went to Kaprun this summer and didn’t see any suitable locations (only advanced slopes) but it’s easy to not see them when there is no snow.

Administrator

That looks pretty good – thanks

Administrator

I don’t believe that notam tells anywhere remotely near the full story.

This pic shows a number of GA planes and I don’t think they flew in just for lunch

On the other side of the runway is a huge GA area, with hangars packed with planes

There was a DA40 flying a lot of the time.

I don’t know any more. I did ask the local staff but they didn’t know anything; instead sending me to the CAA office, but I had better things to do (go skiing). Anyway one can always “research” this… It could be that you can fly there if you establish contact with some aeroclub. Or maybe it is a very exclusive and private club for wealthy people and they don’t want any visitors. But for a fact there is a lot of GA there and they don’t have to leave for the night.

Another pic:

FWIW, here is the “beginner” slope at Axamer Lizum. Spot the “little” ditch at the bottom of it. No way was I going to go there. Also they had no instructors. So the day got wasted. I got a bus to Mutters the 2nd day (had only 2 whole days) and that worked fine, but only artificial snow so consequently no large areas of it.

Administrator

On the other side of the runway is a huge GA area

That is not a G/A area, it is the aeroclub area.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium
Sign in to add your message