Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Skiing in Austria (merged threads)

OK; thanks

However, that’s for getting to Kaprun. Let’s say I landed at LOWZ and then it fogs in. In general, does the fog clear daily so one could get out, or could it stay for a week? Then I would have to abandon the plane there, with a considerable hassle in recovering it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Hard to tell how frequently the fog goes away at Zell am See. FWIW, I had to cancel 3 out of 4 intended flights to there ib December 2013 / January 2014.

Linz is really a long way from Zell. Expect close to 3 hours by rental car. If taking the train, you have to get from the airport to the station first which adds another 20 minutes taxi ride.

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

What is the tendency for fog to form at LOWZ?

For example if it is not there at 0800Z, would it form later?

The only fog I am familiar with here is some version of sea fog, and that usually forms later in the day. It usually clears before the next morning, but not always.

A 3hr train ride is a reasonable backup – so long as the timetables can be decoded

I will email LOWZ and will report.

Administrator

If there is no fog in the morning, it will be ok on most days. But of course some fog can roll in under certain circumstances. I don’t fly into those valleys when there’s a chance i might not get out again. But of course if you stay a couple of days, there’s some risk.

I’d always prefer Salzburg then, and drive.

IME: No fog in the morning = no fog all day. However, if frontal weather moves in from the northwest you can bet on low clouds forming at anytime as the main Alpine ridge is immediately south of Zell am See.

Many thanks Blueline.

I have just checked Salsburg LOWS (yeah, again): AIP SUP 008/15

here

So Salsburg appears to be completely useless unless, it appears, one can go Monday-Friday.

I have emailed Linz just now.

Administrator

Linz is glad about any traffic they get, perhaps they even salute you with their fire engines

Salzburg is useless on Saturdays. The only way around that I have been advised to try is to take contact with Red Bull /Hangar 7, if they give you permission to park then you are fine, even though the aiport management sometimes will try to interfere. Sunday to Friday, Salzburg is ok.

You can plan Zell am See with Salzburg as alternate.

As to fog in the valley there, we´ve had mostly high pressure areas with very low wind in recent weeks. That of course is the precondition of fog, together with humidity, when the cold air in the valleys does not get blown away. The moment there is wind, fog is less likely.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

That sounds good then.

What happens if you plan to be out of LOWS on Friday but for some reason you can’t fly out. Is there a fine and how much is it?

Administrator

Not the beautiful panorama one may wish for, but at least it has started to snow this night…

Sign in to add your message