Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Skiing in Austria (merged threads)

Under the prevailing condition it is not worth to come for skiing. I was yesterday for a sightseeing flight very close to Winterberg and I would never spend one € for that, what they presently offer.

EDWF, Germany

20 km from Winterberg is Willingen. I think it’s a far better skiing area and not so crowded.

We live quite close to the German border and Winterberg has brought us quite some pleasure in the past. However, avoid weekends and holiday seasons and don’t plan anything far ahead as snow conditions are very hard to predict. However, if the snow conditions are good, we could go early in the morning by car and drive over in a few hours and enjoy a full day of skiing. The even lighten some of the pistes at night some of the days. We did sometimes go in weekends or during school holidays and were again reminded of the massive crowd of people on the slopes. But then again, our children never complained at that time. Now, they prefer the French Alps.

EDLE, Netherlands

Sure… as I wrote before, if you can ski well then the Alps will “always” be skiable; if there isn’t much snow you just go higher up, or on the glaciers.

Also it doesn’t matter if the snow is mostly artificial and you get only 10m-15m wide runs; you can still do “something”.

The problem is for a beginner looking for a wide gentle slope. The Kaprun glacier (flying to Zell am See) supposedly has suitable areas, but that seems unusual.

Thanks for that tip, N210FK_C10T. My friend knows it. We will check it out. Winterberg has big wide areas, but of course it does need snow

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yeah, but it is very crowded and it’s difficult to find a parking lot near the lift.

A nice area in Austria is Hochkönig (Maria Alm). Not far away from St. Johann or Salzburg. And of course Obergurgl and Obertauern.

One of the best combinations for small planes IMHO

Flying into LOIJ St Johann and then skiing in Kitzbühel (15min taxi), Ellmau, Skiwelt (15min), St Johann (boring, but only 5min) or Fieberbrunn (20min).

(OK, no ILS and ops from 8 til SS+30’ )

have fun
Chris

Last Edited by ch.ess at 10 Feb 07:06
EDM_, Germany

Many thanks for the suggestion.

I did look at St Johann e.g. here (map) but it cannot be flown to/from the UK, due to no customs/immigration.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

ooops – yep, being based on the continent and right in the (still existing) Schengen zone,
it didn’t even cross my mind

;-)
EDM_, Germany

ch.ess wrote:

it didn’t even cross my mind

It seldom crosses the mind of 90% of the EU population

LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message