Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Asturias LEAS, Spain

A CT, a Tecnam P-92, p-96, TL Sting, can be a ulm or aircraft as type cesnna 152, 172…
It is kind of aeronautical certificate
in the AIP will not find anything simply that the ULM outside the AIP

Spanish law
«Artículo 1.
1. Se consideran incluidos en la denominación de aeronaves de estructura ultraligera (ultraligeros), a los aerodinos motorizados comprendidos en alguna de las siguientes categorías, cuya terminología se corresponde con la utilizada en las definiciones establecidas en el Reglamento de la Circulación Aérea, aprobado por el Real Decreto 73/1992, de 31 de enero:
Categoría A. Aviones terrestres, acuáticos o anfibios que no tengan más de dos plazas para ocupantes, cuya velocidad calibrada de pérdida en configuración de aterrizaje no sea superior a 65 km/h y cuya masa máxima autorizada al despegue no sea superior a:

a) 300 kg para aviones terrestres monoplazas.
b) 450 kg para aviones terrestres biplazas.
c) 330 kg para hidroaviones o aviones anfibios monoplazas.
d) 495 kg para hidroaviones o aviones anfibios biplazas.

….. Que no se efectúen los vuelos sobre espacios aéreos controlados, restringidos, prohibidos, sobre zonas peligrosas activadas, zonas urbanas y aglomeraciones de personas.

all depends on the documentation of your plane, and the idiots you find at airports or in the towers.

in Spain, ULM (CT, Tecnam, Pipistrel, TL,….) can not fly in controlled airspace, can not request information from TWR, not allowed to cross an empty airport, without flights, and controller with arms crossed.
They can ask you is it a ULM ?, If you say yes, they tell you, out of my area. screaming on the radio
no matter if you have pilot license 747 IFR+military…. or Pilot of the Air Force One…

and a General Airplane (CT, Tecnam, Pipistrel, TL, cesnna, piper….) can fly in controlled airspace…..

My advice, in Spain, do not fly to airports, in Spain ULM can not make an flight plans, then you can fly without control.
you must use airfields or airfields ULM. I can recommend interesting airfields.

important documentation in order.
usual the Guardia Civil (military-police) ask papers, when they see land a ULM. It is very common. mostly south of Spain, for drug trafficking. they may ask to register your ulm

Portugal is different, you can activate the flight plan, can be controlled, everything is aid, ULM or GA no problem.
enter portugal, active flight plan, you can do it by radio. After if you fly below 1,000 feet do not need to activate flight plan ….

if you want, send me a private.

Saludos

Enrique

Last Edited by celtico at 30 Jan 17:29
pasion por volar
LEVX CERVAL

Hmmmm looks like we won’t be bringing our aircraft to Spain unless we can clarify how it will be classified! 900ft over the sea with nowhere to divert into without the chance of having to dismantle the aircraft does not sound like my idea of fun flying!

EGBP, United Kingdom

WB, if yours is a ultralight/microlight (matter matter under which country’s rules), I would stay away from Spanish airports.

The same problem has persisted (and to a certain degree still persists) in Italy.
German microlight pilots have been able to use controlled airspace and controlled airports for decades. Therefore, when they flew over to Italy in their D-reg. ULMs, some of them didn’t even consider that they might not be allowed to fly into “airports”.

In theory, this has improved since 2010 with the advent of the decree no. 133 and the avanzato category. The problem is: the decree states that foreign registered ULMs are, by default, not “avanzato”. In practice, the situation is much better. Foreign ULMs with a radio and a transponder are usually “considered” to be “advanced”. But problems can still arise – after all, this avanzato thing being a pure italian invention, they do not have any document with the “avanzato” box ticked.

As far as I know, Spain is working on a law introducing a similar sub-division of the class into “simple” and “advanced” microlights, but I haven’t heard of much progress over the last two years.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Bosomantico – I agree. I have been aware for some time that we would need to permission to use fly our UK permit aircraft in Spain, but I hadn’t honestly considered that we would be barred from controlled airspace, airports and flight above 300m AGL. Unfortunately this trip is going to have to go on the shelf for the moment. Thankfully it is one I have experienced before in a CofA aircraft, but I was rather looking forwards to the challenge of taking our ‘baby’ aircraft there!

EGBP, United Kingdom

@WB: I think you shouldn’t despair. Celtico’s description sounds discouraging but in fact my own Belgian country is very similar, while at the same time much more busy with a lot more controlled airspace plus a lot of military zones. Still it is possible to fly a microlight safely and legally and enjoy it.

What is different is the max 900’ AGL , which I wouldn’t like either, indeed I much prefer the German idea of a “safety height” of 2000’. But would anybody care, if you flew your ultralight at 2000 or even 3500, carefully staying out of CAS and not activating your transponder? I doubt it, but cannot speak from experience.

[[edit after reading your above reply: all I wrote concerns microlights. With a PtoF plane you should worry even less. If they ask “are you an ultralight” you can simply and truthfully answer “no”; and Celtico tells us this is all they care about. ]]

@celtico: twr staff who refuse to allow ulm’s in ctr are only applying law, no need to call them idiots for that. If any idiots are around, it is those who made the laws, not those who apply them (and this does not apply to aviation only…) plus of course some idiot pilots who cannot properly prepare their flights, or who think all the world is just like their own place.

As for the chap who had to have the ultralight trucked out: that can happen in many countries, but is easy to avoid by correct planning. Then again, most ultralight are easily disassembled and will fit almost any trailer long enough, it is not a major hassle.

I don’t understand the “cannot speak to tower” bit. Round here, there is a tight corridor between the CTRs of EBAW and EBBR, only two or three NM wide and vertically limited to 1500 AMSL. It is a slight bit of a challenge for ultralight pilots to circle the EBAW CTR, including this corridor; I have done it a couple of times, always staying out of CAS but still talking to EBAW TWR because it is obvious they will be glad to know who is around, and with no transponder my craft cannot be very clear on their radar. EBAW TWR have always been correct and helpful, indeed very professional. Surely a pilot can always talk to any service? Whether the communication will be useful is another point.

Last Edited by at 30 Jan 21:10
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

hi, hi hi, WB, do not worry.

There are many ULM flying through Spain and no problem.
You just have to know that can happen.
If you have permission from the tower, no problem,
you just have to know that they can say no, simply by not
You can landing in La Morgal, en asturias,
Ribadeo,
Las rozas

en matilla de los caños, very fantastic airfild… fantastic…..
http://www.aerodromodematilla.com/

and other more….

pasion por volar
LEVX CERVAL

Celtico, have you understood WB is NOT flying an ultralight? Rather, the plane is on a “Permit to Fly” which could mean a homebuilt or an antique or a warbird. I bet that if he comes on the radio as Golf-w-h-a-t-e-v-e-r, and replies in the negative when asked he is an ultralight, nobody will stop him from entering controlled airspace – especially if he carries a transponder.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

you can fly above 1,000 feet. It is not the problem.
The law is the year 1988
I have flown many times above 2,000 feet …
you can ask the tower. Nobody forbids
But the controller he can say NO, if you’re a ULM, only by legal issues. It is a legal question

the law will change soon in Spain
and ulm can land at airports … -but it has to say on a law officer role

WB
you will not have any problems flying Spain. Only know these things … nothing more.
Nobody will tell you to remove the plane by truck.
I will help you to plan your trip

pasion por volar
LEVX CERVAL

the important thing is that the documentation can not contain the word ultralight.
it is just that.
it’s just a legal issue.
the controller follows the law. he can have good education, or rude.

My plane, is a homebuilt and will not have problems flying at airports. In the documentation, not contain the word ultralight, only “airplane”….

flight to La morgal airfield… in Asturias…

Last Edited by celtico at 30 Jan 21:38
pasion por volar
LEVX CERVAL

I think we may take discretion over valour on this one. Unfortunately the aircraft manufacturer is TL-Ultralight which might be enough fodder for an official having a bad day. If it was solely my aircraft I might be more tempted to take a chance, but risking having the aircraft stuck in Spain during the summer may be a bitter blow for the other share holders. Hopefully we’ll get a chance to go back when the rules in Spain are more ‘concrete’.

Amusingly though we might claim to be ‘war bird’ pilots Here is the mighty Sting in action with the Kazakhstan air force.

EGBP, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message