Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

A Photo Report - Weston (Ireland) to Granville (France)

Last August, I made a trip from Weston (the GA airport closest to Dublin) in Ireland to Rennes in France, and then back to Granville in France.

The purpose of this trip was to go to the PocketFMS flyin in Granville. However having overflown Rennes on many previous trips, I thought I'd drop in and have a look around the city this time, given that it was so close to Granville.

First Sight of Land in UK after leaving Ireland

FL100 Across the UK. The base of the cloud was around 1500-2000. FL100 make it a more comfortable trip, and ensured a good altitude for crossing the English Channel.

It clears up over the English Channel. It always amazes me how typically the weather over the sea is the opposite of over the land. If there is lots of cloud over the land, there seems to be little over the sea, and vise versa.

Pretty sure this was Jersey, but I could be mistaken!

Coasting in in France near Dinard. Again as soon as I reach land, the cloud shows up again...so down we go.

Dinard Airport

Dinard & St Malo I think, though I could be wrong again!

Rennes City, as I depart Rennes for Granville.

Mont Saint Michel

Normandy

Granville Airport

The beach by Granville airport

Me bringing some of the PocketFMS team for a short flight to see Mont Saint Michel

Mont Saint Michel. Can anyone explain why the stripy fields seem so popular in Europe? I've never never seen any in Ireland or the UK. Is it something to do with crop rotation?

Beautiful weather for the trip home, even if it was a little blustery.

Just thought it an interesting cloud shadow. Looks ominous, but actually a lovely day.

Cherburg harbour.

The English Channel

Coasting in in the UK.

Dunkeswell for Lunch. They do a nice carvery lunch here on good quality furniture. Much better than the typical airport greasy spoon on an old table covered in lino tablecloth!

Wales.

Fine Weather for Crossing the Irish Sea heading home on the final leg of the journey.

I hope you enjoy the report.

dp

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Nice trip, thanks for sharing.

What was Rennes like? I spent some time working there, but have not flown myself there - it's on my list of places to fly to.

EGTT, The London FIR

Thanks Finners,

Rennes airport was a big commerical airport, but very quiet. ie a big terminal building, lots of people walking around, but not many aeroplanes moving around!

Costs were very cheap. Less than €20 for landing and 24 hours parking from memory.

The city I presume you are aware of having worked there! I thought it looked fantastic. Very clean, and traditional, but yet all up to date (ie not in need of renovations!).

Not a whole lot to do/see there though from a tourist point of view.

dp

EIWT Weston, Ireland

I think the airport is only busy early mornings and evenings with domestic flights and the odd Flybe Dash-8 to Exeter or Southampton during the day.

The lack of GA activity at the airport made me wonder if it was expensive - but it sounds from your experience that it was anything but. Did you contact the aeroclub or airport ops?

Rennes is compact, clean, safe, friendly and there are some very quaint streets and cafes on the north side of the city centre. There is also the amusingly named "Rue le Bastard".

If anyone else is going there, I can highly recommend La Chope brasserie on Rue de la Chalotais. Other restaurant recommendations on request.

EGTT, The London FIR

The lack of GA activity at the airport made me wonder if it was expensive - but it sounds from your experience that it was anything but. Did you contact the aeroclub or airport ops?

I contacted ops directly. They gave me a price for landing which was very minor, and told me that they could not help with parking, and that I should make arrangements with the aeroclub.

I contacted the aeroclub who told me that it was no problem to park at their place. They weren't sure how much it would be, but I remember getting some indication that made it look very cheap.

When I got there, ATC told me to park on the main ramp, so that's what I did!

EIWT Weston, Ireland
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message