Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Discovering the limits of IFR flying: a glorious trip from Kortrijk to Rodez

I added a new glorious flying adventure from Kortrijk to Rodez on my blog. Discover the limits of IFR flying !

Click for my abeam.be blog

Always interested in feedback, thanks.

Niner Mike.

Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium

Thanks for that 9M. Good write-up

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Nice summary, Niner Mike.

Flying in France is indeed a real joy.

An advice: if you’re planning a flight to A that is slightly marginal on range, and you have B enroute, file the flightplan to A and consider to land at B right away if the winds/shortcuts don’t play ball. Don’t file the flightplan to B, as that makes continuing to A (in case the winds/shortcuts do play ball) more complicated.

Re uncontrolled airspace and ATC: exactly my experience. ATC will often not offer any shortcuts that would take you into uncontrolled airspace. And when you request such a shortcut, they are reluctant to give it to you and you have to say three times that you are indeed very happy in uncontrolled airspace. I guess that is because the IFR traffic in France is 95% AOC traffic and these guys don’t want to leave controlled airspace in cruise, so when a private IFR flyer comes up, they assume the same. It’s a bit of a discussion sometimes. A classic case is when flying IFR below FL195 between say Dijon and Cannes and trying to shorten the route (big dogleg via the Rhone valley otherwise). They always say “that is uncontrolled airspace and there may be gliders there”. So what?!?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Hi,

Great writing indeed.
Why do you use oxygen at such low altitudes, starting breathing O2 at 5000ft until your cruise FL, where one usually (I actually speak for myself) don’t need it.

Have a great weekend

Emmanuel

LSGL

A good writeup.

If I am climbing to say FL100 or more, I get the cannula around my neck before takeoff, and then shove it up my nose when about to call up London Control (or whatever IFR authority) which might happen at only 3000ft.

It is difficult to do it later because they can call you anytime, and one has to take off the headset and sunglasses if doing it during the flight, and getting called up and missing the call (they give you about 3 seconds to respond) makes one look really incompetent.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter,

I had once the chance to see how could be a congested ATC when ferrying back my pa32 from the U.S. between Prestwick and Chambery over London area, and I agree that you can’t afford to miss what you’re instructed to, but here in Switzerland or in France (not Paris area though), I have plenty of time to put my cannula on (usually when cleared to FL130 or more).

Regarding the headset, a friend of mine lent me for a few weeks a Phonak 7100 (I previously had to make a mold of my ear shells), and I happen to wonder how I could ever fly without since.
I can wear whatever sunglasses I want and put O2 in seconds with a freedom and comfort I never had with regular (ANR or not) headsets.
I regularly fly from Lausanne to Lille and the 2 hours flight is incredibly more comfortable with that headset than my Zulu I used to have.

Best regards and have a great weekend

Emmanuel

LSGL

That glory seems to be a dangerous beauty. Below 0C and high water content is surely a sign for a lot of icing potential. Good that you didn’t try to decent into it.

Question: is there consensus that light GA (even with TKS) wants to avoid clouds when a glory can be observed?

Frequent travels around Europe

Re uncontrolled airspace and ATC: exactly my experience. ATC will often not offer any shortcuts that would take you into uncontrolled airspace. And when you request such a shortcut, they are reluctant to give it to you and you have to say three times that you are indeed very happy in uncontrolled airspace

On my first proper airways flight after getting my IR, ATC offered me a great shortcut CMB DCT MMD, cutting out the dogleg via Reims that I had been forced to file. They asked if I was happy to fly outside controlled airspace. I declined, fearful of the pain of getting re-cleared into CAS – which can be a problem in the UK. In hindsight, I wish I’d accepted, as I expect the French are much better at clearing you back into the airways if you take a shortcut.

EGBJ / Gloucestershire

AFAIK in France it is mainly de-Gaulle APP that want to keep you in CAS. Anywhere else in France OCAS is not a problem.

LFPT, LFPN

On my first proper airways flight after getting my IR, ATC offered me a great shortcut CMB DCT MMD, cutting out the dogleg via Reims that I had been forced to file. They asked if I was happy to fly outside controlled airspace. I declined, fearful of the pain of getting re-cleared into CAS – which can be a problem in the UK. In hindsight, I wish I’d accepted, as I expect the French are much better at clearing you back into the airways if you take a shortcut.

Yes. Since you then stay on the same frequency, it is seamless.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 22 Mar 08:13
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
36 Posts
Sign in to add your message