Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Helsinki-Malmi EFHF closing despite all attempts to save it?

According to the latest reports, Helsinki city council just voted 9-6 to close EFHF down. Let us hope there are still ways to fight it – courts? European Commission? anything else?

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

It looks like they are on the same trip as the UK. We need houses and more houses to keep our housing industry moving as there aren’t many products we offer.
When the housing bubble burst, we all cry again.

United Kingdom

The city council of Helsinki are obviously the same types as politicians in Berlin, where a well known airport with an outstanding history was closed in the city center 2008.
These people have no tradition, their interest is only a quick buck. Shame on them. Courts ? I would not count on them. What is AOPA doing ?

Berlin, Germany

This is a stunning blow (not unexpected) and a complete tragedy. Malmi is the most wonderful airfield and the VFR approach along the waterfront at 700’ is one of, if not the, best flying experiences in the world.

The waterfront at Helsinki:

Short Final at Malmi:

Here is Malmi’s gorgeous art-deco tower:

I find it hard to believe this madness is going through. Helsinki will be virtually out of reach, with no other GA airport even close. It will actually make more sense to land at Talinn and get the hydrofoil than try to find another airport in Finland. The only alternative I know of, apart from Turku or Tampere, is Hyvinkaa which has no services at all.

Does anyone here know the reality of landing a light GA at Vantaa? I’ve never tried.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

@Aveling: I fully agree with you. I have been there 2013, it`s a great airport for GA The city has atmosphere and is worth a visit. It is a tragedy.
Would a Fly In help ?

Berlin, Germany

Would a Fly In help?

For the time being, EFHF continues to operate as usual. For example, an air show is scheduled for August. According to Friends of Malmi Airport, the situation is quite bizarre:

• 2/3 of all pilots in Finland are trained at Malmi
  • The local community is overwhelmingly against the closure
  • A comparison of demographic forecasts to the capacity of the plots already approved does not support the alleged need for more residential construction plots
  • Malmi terminal is a nationally recognised cultural monument

To me, two most likely ways to reverse the decision to close seem to be lobbying the European Commission along the lines of its recent warming up to GA and an action to protect EFHF as a cultural monument. Of course, it is also a matter of local politics, which can hardly be helped from the outside. On the other hand, the problem is not endemic to Malmi, there is also ESSB Bromma that’s also slated to close, there is EBSP Spa that managed to survive, and more such places across Europe. Experience sharing may help.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

there is also ESSB Bromma that’s also slated to close

No, it’s not. Stockholm city wants to close it by 2022, but Swedavia has a lease until 2038. OTOH Swedavia is breaking the terms of the lease by effectively shutting out light GA and that may be taken to mean that the city has a right to cancel the lease.

Personally, I think that Swedavia’s decision to increase airline traffic with larger aircraft and make it into a hub (which is at least against the spirit of the lease agreement) means that the will airport be forced to close eventually. But we’re not there yet and there is certainly no timetable.

But again, from a light GA point of view it really doesn’t matter much unless there is a complete change of policy from Swedavia.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message