Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trip to Prague - advice please for a new IFR pilot

Although I’ve made a couple of posts on the forum, I’m pretty much new to this so will start by saying ‘hi’ and introducing myself. I used to fly a microlight but recently changed my flying completely, to an N registered TB20 which is based at Cambridge EGSC. The TB20 has a de-iced prop (but not full TKS). A couple of months ago I did an intensive course in the USA and came back with a FAA PPL/IR. So I’m inexperienced flying in IMC and at night and have not yet flown in Class A airspace.

I have a trip planned to Prague for the spring, which is likely to be my first long distance airways flight. Likely destination is LKVO – Ultranomad says it’s friendly for GA and Peter tells me it’s much cheaper than LKPR. I’ve read Peter’s report on his trip to Prague and plan to install a portable oxygen system.

So I’m hoping for some advice on getting there and back in one piece. Many on this forum have been through the process of moving from the relatively restricted world of IFR training to the practical world of IFR flight. Any tips on things to make sure to do, or not to do, communicating with ATC, customs, icing etc would be very welcome - in fact anything practical at all that a new IFR pilot might find useful!

TJ
Cambridge EGSC

I was in a similar position but have done a bit more now.

First do a couple of shorter flights. Come to Calais for lunch in March for example.

Second, if in doubt ask particularly if a controller with a tricky accent says a fix you don't quite get.

You aren't going to get experience flying in IMC or at night without flying in IMC or at night. Certainly pick your times but do it whenever you can. I believe that if you passed your test and are properly current, go fly in it. No other way to do it.

EGTK Oxford

Don't worry and just do your trip but maybe not during the worst icing weather. IFR in the countries you will fly over is dead easy and good English is guaranteed. The Czech Republic is one of the most pleasant countries to fly in.

Most of the business of flying around Europe is "operational" stuff. The IFR routing has to be developed (I use FlightPlanPro) and the flight plan is filed online (I use EuroFPL). Stuff like Customs PNR may need to be done but LKPR is H24 and you can just turn up. LKVO is, from memory, Customs PNR so you call them or fax them, etc.

The actual flying is no issue. Obviously the weather has to be "managed" and in a TB20 with oxygen your ceiling is about FL180-FL200 so the general idea is to climb to VMC on top and sit there. Navigation is just 100% GPS RNAV point-to-point and is a non-event. ATC tend to offer shortcuts but one should ask for them anyway if there is an excessive "kink" in the route.

IMHO oxygen is a must. Many will disagree, but flying around at FL100-110 one often gets poor routings (both to file, and from ATC) and there is no escape from IMC and icing conditions. In non frontal wx is it common to have a cloud layer say 4000ft-FL120 and not having oxygen just sticks you straight in there. A cylinder with a 1st stage regulator and an oxymiser cannula is the cheapest way and works well enough.

A TB20 is really a very good choice for European IFR flying, because the 18k-20k ceiling takes you above 99% of non frontal weather, so one just needs to make sure one can climb up and down through any stuff in the terminal areas.

Speaking to London Control is a non-event; you just squeeze your call in between the Easyjets etc and most of the time they leave you alone, as you would expect with a radar service. LC is the most professional of services.

The biggest factor is weather, as always... I tend to avoid frontal weather and would recommend that to a new IR pilot.

It is vital to know the aircraft systems well e.g. how exactly the autopilot works, because 100% of this type of flying is done on autopilot.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Thanks for the suggestions/reassurance.

JasonC: I'll be doing some shorter flights and plan for the March lunch in Calais to be one of them. Look forward to meeting you then.

TJ
Cambridge EGSC
5 Posts
Sign in to add your message