Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Slot Coordinated Airports (EHAM, for example)

After going to Brussels last week ( via Antwerp), i now need to got to Amsterdam. Schipol ist the best candidate so far. I know EHAM is slot coordinated, but there are rumors about slot free times.
So my question for CFMU savy GA pilots is:
If I file an I flightplan into EHAM without the ASL remark and Eurocontrol acknowledges the plan, does that mean I can fly there for sure ? Or is it still possible that some controller may deny us access?

Cheers,
FlyPPI

EDVE, Germany

If I file an I flightplan into EHAM without the ASL remark and Eurocontrol acknowledges the plan, does that mean I can fly there for sure ? Or is it still possible that some controller may deny us access?

Don’t do it… at least in Germany you will feel the wrath of the federal slot coordinator (job creation scheme par excellence). He will threaten you with waterboarding and worse but I do not know anybody who really got fined.

Note that Eurocontrol does not enforce slots with ASL, they accept every flight plan that passes IFPS. However, later any ATC unit involved might bin your flight plan as it happened to Peter during the AERO show and several others.

IFPS does not care about airport slots.

The only definite to find out where a slot is required is the AIP.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

the system is weird. Anyhow, I managed to get slots into and out of EHAM using the email slot request message system. The system must date from the early times of telex, when you had to pay by the letter. The slot request goes like this

GCR
/REG
EHAM
NDEXXX 24APR 004PA28 EDDV0645 D
N DEXXX 24APR 004PA28 1400EDDG D
SI IF NOT AVBL PLS CFM NEXT LATER POSS
GI BRGDS

EDVE, Germany

If you fly a “normal” GA aircraft like a Cirrus/Piper or whatever then you don’t need slot times into EHAM. But you do need handling and use the handling agent to arrange your arrival. I have flown into and out of Schiphol several times and each time without the “needed” slot.

Last Edited by AeroPlus at 21 Apr 15:44
EDLE, Netherlands

I was in Iraklion 2 weeks ago and they really had a needle printer that would print all SITA messages on continuous paper.

Got their address, will send them a large Christmas tree in ASCII art…

In the UK you get a rather abrupt and somewhat threatening email if you don’t have an airport slot.

Fly safely
Various UK. Operate throughout Europe and Middle East, United Kingdom

In the UK you get a rather abrupt and somewhat threatening email if you don’t have an airport slot.

Which airports does that happen at?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

You need slots into EHAM now for IFR. It is a new system.

EGTK Oxford

FlyPPI wrote:

The slot request goes like this

GCR
/REG
EHAM
NDEXXX 24APR 004PA28 EDDV0645 D
N DEXXX 24APR 004PA28 1400EDDG D
SI IF NOT AVBL PLS CFM NEXT LATER POSS
GI BRGDS

Has anyone here successfully done a slot request with such a GCR message for a Spanish airport? I’ve already done it for Madeira, but they have a very practical guide on how they want their codes to look like: https://slots.nav.pt/docs/NAV/gcslots/how-to-request-a-slot/gcr.pdf?sfvrsn=2

I’ve now taken the old Portuguese request and modified it and sent it to [email protected], but no reply so far. Would be interested in experiences of how long it took or what to look out for.

42 Posts
Sign in to add your message