Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How to find out who owns farm land?

A question driven by the interest in approaching the landowner to ask if I can rent his field, as located using Google Earth. The Police must know how to do this in the case of an air accident . . . what is it?

EuropaBoy
EGBW

Not sure if this helps, but all agriculture land will have a holding number Probably the pub / local shop will give more local knowledge.

Norman
United Kingdom

In the UK, isn't a lot of farmland unregistered? Only land sold after c. 1973 will be registered. When I tried to buy a field in 1995, we had some fun locating the owner and it was done by local enquiries.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think a Holding Number has nothing to to do with the Land Registry. If the farmer is claiming RPA from the EU, which is just about all, they will have a holding number.

Norman
United Kingdom

If you do find a amenable farmer, and you put a grass strip through the middle of a nice big arable field, the farmer will have to amend his RPA. Grass strips are outside the scope of RPA. The area used for aviation would have to be measured accurately, most farmers use professionals to do this so there would be a cost. At a guess about £300.

Norman
United Kingdom

Land owner maybe different from farmer - lease.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

"Land owner maybe different from farmer - lease"

Yes, this is exactly my problem. Furthermore, the tenant farmer may have a vested interest in preventing contact with the owner of course.

Anyway, very helpful comment - thanks all

EuropaBoy
EGBW

On the odd occasion I've wanted to know who has a piece of land near me and how to contact them, I've found that asking in the local pub usually gets me a reliable answer.

Failing that, go there, pin a note on the gate in a plastic bag, and the odds are that the farmer will get it fairly shortly.

G

Boffin at large
Various, southern UK.

Open the gate, let cars in at 50p a go and you will soon find out who the owner is.

12 Posts
Sign in to add your message