Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Meet-up weekend 20/21 June 2015

Anyone interested in a mini fly-in?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

sounds good… UK or further afield? rgds frank

Any interest? Austria, Lower Germany, slovakia, slovenia, Czech, Hungary?

KHTO, LHTL

Yes

Administrator

OK… any suggestions? I definitely have this w/e free because Justine will be away

Hungary is perhaps a bit too far. Austria I have never done, curiously. So how about that? I can always bring my own food

Administrator

You can fly to Landshut, visit Munich and I’ll give you my new guest apartment (one room at my new office) and even pick you up at EDML. I have to be at the tennis club with my son (tournament) on Saturday, but we could do something in the evening, or you take my car and do sightseeing.

Austria: If you have never been to LOWZ, Zell am See, that’s a very nice airport and area.

Currently the forecast looks OK from the SE UK to basically SE of there.

I flew over LOWZ not long ago; it clearly needs CAVOK conditions to get in there (or out of there).

Administrator

Well, the valley it is in is pretty wide, but yes, CAVOK would be good.

What would be the minimum cloudbase at some airport just N of the Alps, so one could safely get into LOWZ via one of the canyons?

In CAVOK conditions, I would fly to overhead at say FL150, cancel IFR, drop the gear, and spiral down. I did that into Locarno.

LOWZ:

Airport is bottom right.

Administrator

LOWZ is very easy, you can do the entire flight in 5000ft MSL coming from Germany. Basically you enter the Alps via the Inn river, turn left to Sankt Johann LOIJ, continue straight and then turn right to the Zeller lake and the airport is around the corner. You just follow the railway from Sankt Johann. Make sure to study the VAC well, the traffic pattern is very unusual as it goes around the corner and you have to fly very close to the mountain.

All in all not a difficult airfield. It’s one of my favorite destination. If you come in July/August, you have to speak Arabic as that is the only language spoken there.

Last Edited by achimha at 16 Jun 15:21
35 Posts
Sign in to add your message