Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Meet-up weekend 20/21 June 2015

Yes, if you enter the valley via the Inn river you can fly quite low. I don’t fly there in strong wind conditions, because I don’t like turbulence which is common there if the wind is blowing from the south/south west. The runway is not evry long, 660 m, which scares away many, but I find it long enough.

They have rental bikes and one or two scooters and it’s easy to find a good hotel in the area.

Who else would be interested in this meet-up?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I second all the recommendations for LOWZ. For sure the nicest destination in Austria if you have just time for one stop.

Unfortunately I cannot attend due to work commitments.

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

As I said, i can’t get away Saturday. If you want to stop in Munich, let me know.

Zell am See was really the only place I saw GA aircraft airborne in my recent two weeks in the Alps: a Robin, Cirrus and then a low wing Piper circling Edelweissspitze. I expected to see some activity in France but didn’t. I did see a Bird Dog tow plane landing in Varese and a few sailplanes along the way.

Anybody ever flown to LOKL, Lienz Nikolsdorf, on the south side of the Grossglocker? I saw a little bit of sailplane activity there and could recommend a very nice hotel nearby with food entirely suitable for Peter (on Tristachersee)

Between LOWZ and LOKL there’s a conservation area (“Hohe Tauern”) that must not be overflown. Many pilots, especially German, still do it, I observed. The minimum altitude is 5000 meters MSL in that area. So to get from LOWZ to LOKL you have to fly around the “Grossglocker” massif (Austria’s highest mountain, by the way).

It’s a thin green line on the Austrian and German charts of that area and you can easily miss it if you don’t know about it.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 16 Jun 17:30

You are clear of the conservation area when you follow the road from Mittersill to Matrei (the obvious way from LOWZ to LOKL). Also, while this shouldn’t encourage rowdy behaviour (the bird sanctuary is there for a reason), I haven’t heard of any pilot being prosecuted.

Exactly. I was on top of Grossglockner a couple of weeks ago (for a snow ploughing demo) – and the first thing i saw was a PA-28 circling overhead.

I entered the area once when I was still unaware of it, but would not fly through it now.

I was on top of Grossglockner a couple of weeks ago (for a snow ploughing demo)

While I’m aware that Mercedes uses the annual re-opening of the Großglockner road for a demonstration of their Unimog snow ploughs, I would be surprised if they had really made it all the way to the top of the mountain

I worked with a guy a few years ago (he having moved to the US years ago) who was once with Zundapp, and in his youth they used to test very, very small Zundapp motorcycles (like 50 cc) by riding them to the top of the Grossglockner. I suppose anything can make it to the top given enough time!

Sign in to add your message