Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Zell am See LOWZ

Matter of definition but what I wanted to say is that getting to Zell from the North does not require mountain flying in what Germans would call “Gebirge”. That only starts South of Zell. Therefore Zell is very much accessible to people without any experience in mountain flying. The biggest issue is the rather short runway and the elevation which in summer can translate to anaemic aircraft performance. Several accidents have happened because of this.

i think differently. The last time i was there i flew through the Bavarian Alps

And we are in EGSX easy beautyfull flight via LFOK. Fear of channel ! Why, you see the other side before even be over the water.
Best 5 Spitfires and 2 Hurricanes lined up

So let’s see how many German EuroGA pilots will make it here

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

one for sure :-)

Semantics indeed I would say.

IMHO, Zell is indeed in the Alps. The route via Traunstein, Lofer and Saalfelden definitely gives you a modicum of mountain flying, at least if you are low level.

But it’s not in the inner Alps. “Inner Alps” – I would say – is where the bottoms of the valleys are at over 5000 feet and the peak are all well above 10000 feet.

But Zell is definitely a good “starting point” for moutain flying.

Agree in the comment about a relatively short runway and high temperatures in summer. Even though I don’t remember any recent performance-induced accidents there.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

It’s pretty flat around here… easy for flying

Administrator

Wish you all a great time in or near the Alps, whatever . Won’t make it tomorrow as I just landed from France and am dead tired, combined with some family obligations waiting for me.

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Here are a few pics… mostly unretouched

Leaving the UK around Lydd

FL090 looked just right; just above the worst haze

40 USG Landing fuel on board projected (actual was 41)

Initially we had a few kt headwind, then it became zero, and later we got 15 kt of tailwind.

This is where our money goes

“Frankfurt” in Ryanair-speak (Hahn)

Achim’s house

Is LOWZ before or after those peaks – FL090 for sure is going to be really close It started to get a little bumpy there; expected with the 15-20kt of wind flowing over the terrain, but then it got smooth

Approaching the 090 inbound into LOWZ, FL100. Munich got us to cancel IFR shortly beforehand. They called it “proceed VFRC” – not sure what it meant

This is the canyon here the above magenta line lies

Still at FL100 and about to plummet

Gear down and half flap to get the rate of descent – the canyon is wide but you do need to be fairly awake

Runway (straight in for 08) is in the middle here, with an aircraft about to depart

“Short” final, the aircraft is still there, but he got away in time.

I landed on the numbers and stopped fine – the runway is not very long. Shortly afterwards a Seneca floated a long way, touching down about halfway. He must have braked really hard. There was no headwind – only 6kt of crosswind.

Parked. This is curiously the first time I have ever set foot on Austrian soil. I have been to a lot of Europe but never before Austria.

The surface is grass

and there is a strange strip of rocks which nobody with any sense would drive across under power

so one goes around looking for help to push the plane backwards across it, and out again upon departure. We helped a local push his C150 (or similar) across it.

It’s quite a busy place

The self service pump works OK. You have to go to the office and pick up a mag strip card for the pump. I got some local help to translate the German button labels. The office won’t let you pay for anything on the day; you can do it only when you depart. I guess Germany (whoops this is Austria!) is the only country where I would be happy with that…

Very scenic all around

Administrator

You passed 3 miles west of my house in Munich :-)
I have never heard the phrase “proceed VFRC” … Maybe you were in Munich’s airspace Charlie and the cleared you for flying through it VFR after cancelling IFR?

Sign in to add your message