Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying vacation in Portugal: a paean of praise

quatrelle wrote:

You should avoid Biarritz like the plague

Yes the choice between San Sebastian or Biarritz is easy, if it was not that cheap fuel is sold in the least welcoming one

Last Edited by Ibra at 03 Nov 21:33
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Thanks to everyone that gave me some information. It has been very useful.

Thank you.

EGLK, United Kingdom

3. Can fuel be purchased with a credit card or fuel card, or is it like Spain where a VAT number is required and payment only accepted in cash.

I haven’t been to LPPM either, but we had problems paying with our CC in some places. Their machine wouldn’t accept foreign cards. So it might be a good idea to bring some cash. The tax number nonsense from Spain is luckily unknown in Portugal

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

Colin wrote:

Is Customs/Immigration required for a flight from a Schengen country, ie Spain or France

No you can fly direct to LPPM from France or Spain
Colin wrote:

Can fuel be purchased with a credit card or fuel card, or is it like Spain where a VAT number is required and payment only accepted in cash

CC or cash at Portimao, no VAT no reqd
Colin wrote:

from San Sebastian or Biarritz

You should avoid Biarritz like the plague, on top of having to put up with all the other hassle there my friend got breathalysed there at 11am after a 3 hour flight from the UK.

You should fly to Evora when you there

Colin wrote:

1. Is it possible to get a crossing of Restricted or Danger areas (there is a lot of them) in Portugal and Spain. It’s relatively simple in France for example.
2. Is Customs/Immigration required for a flight from a Schengen country, ie Spain or France.
3. Can fuel be purchased with a credit card or fuel card, or is it like Spain where a VAT number is required and payment only accepted in cash.

1. Usually it is – in my limited experience flying in Portugal I got permission to cross area when not active.
2. No.
3. Usually credit card is ok, I don’t know specifically for LPPM but I’m sure you can clarify this with one e-mail.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I am planning on flying to Portimao LPPM (near Faro) on 18th November, from San Sebastian or Biarritz, in a Saratoga II TC, which is on the N registration. The flight will be VFR all the way.

It’s going to be my first trip to Portugal so this thread has been very interesting.

I have a few questions.

1. Is it possible to get a crossing of Restricted or Danger areas (there is a lot of them) in Portugal and Spain. It’s relatively simple in France for example.
2. Is Customs/Immigration required for a flight from a Schengen country, ie Spain or France.

Any tips and up to date information you can give me would be helpful.

EGLK, United Kingdom

boscomantico wrote:

Did you write to the airport preople in English? Then, I wouldn’t really expect a reply from LPVL. All the employees I saw there spoke next to no English at all. It really is not a “professional” type of operation there.

Yes, in English – just one sentence asking what’s the situation with parking. Thursday this week and Monday next week are holidays in Portugal, so I wanted to be sure and to check with all airports I’m planning to land to. I got reply in correct English – it might be supported by Google translate but it’s OK. Basically, I just have to let them know when I’m arriving, parking is not a problem.

boscomantico wrote:

Re Jet-A prices, don’t forget the UK, Luxembourg and the Channel Islands, which are mostly between 0.60 and 0.90€ as well.

I might start flying in that direction once in the future if/when they have better weather. For now I still prefer Mediterranean countries

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

I’m waiting reply from LPVL.

Did you write to the airport preople in English? Then, I wouldn’t really expect a reply from LPVL. All the employees I saw there spoke next to no English at all. It really is not a “professional” type of operation there.

Emir wrote:

Serbia and Bosnia without competition

Re Jet-A prices, don’t forget the UK, Luxembourg and the Channel Islands, which are mostly between 0.60 and 0.90€ as well.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 18 Jun 09:48
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

quatrelle wrote:

Just sitting here with some friends from Porto and they said that when you are there you should visit the Livario Lello library which some describe as the most beautiful library in the world.

Thanks for this tip – we’ve already planned that visit

BTW LPEV asked me to fill some form at https://www.anac.pt/vPT/Generico/RegEconomica/AutorizacoesdeVoos/Paginas/AutorizacoesdeVoos.aspx and send it to ANAC with LPEV in CC. Usually such things are reserved for non-EU countries – it’s first time that I was asked to provide flight notification to some civil aviation agency in EU.

LPEV and LPCS both confirmed no problem with parking and I’m waiting reply from LPVL.

BP also replied with price of 1.07€ per liter of Jet A1 at LPEV – surprisingly low comparing to Spain or Germany. Actually, it’s the same price I paid at LDZA yesterday and Croatia is still amongst the cheaper countries (with Serbia and Bosnia without competition – 0.63€ at LQSA 3 days ago).

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Just sitting here with some friends from Porto and they said that when you are there you should visit the Livario Lello library which some describe as the most beautiful library in the world.

You can buy tickets next door in the bookshop.

livariolello.pt

28 Posts
Sign in to add your message