Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR from Koksijde (EBFN) to Bastia (LFKB) and back

Gents,

As my annual leave is approaching, I am planning a VFR-trip to Corsica. We will be leaving somewhere at the end of this week.
The plan is to depart Koksijde (EBFN) on the Saturday the 29th towards Cannes (LFMD). Next day we would cross the Mediterranean Sea to Bastia (LFKB). After some days on the island, we would cross again to Aix-les-Milles (LFMA). And from there on back, fly back home… All flights will be VFR!

The aircraft we will be using is a brand new Robin DR401, with only 25h’s on the clock. Basically it’s a DR400-140B, but with G500-avionics and electric flaps. It will be the first long trip after the initial oil change for the break-in of the Lycoming 0-320 engine (160 hp)…

All relevant pre-flight planning has been done, PPR & parking spaces have been reserved. Also, we are quite flexible in our schedule.

I’m still looking for fun places to stop en-route… (fun airports, good restaurants and cheap fuel are the basic criteria).
Any advice / tips are welcome!

Regards,
Polaris

Last Edited by polaris at 25 Aug 07:58

Hehe, that plane was my parking neighbour at the EBZR fly-in last weekend. Were you among the crew then, whom I had a nice little chat with?

For an en-route airport, consider LFGN Paray Le Monial. Honestly though, I only visited once, and that briefly, but remember the place for its very good feel. It used to be a common mid-route stop for some well-known brothers from EBAM … ;)

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I would be interested in an update on Bastia. I was there about 10 years ago. I will be flying back from Greece on my own and don’t feel like doing the same route yet again, so I might do Athens – Bastia – Shoreham.

There was an aeroclub at Bastia but I well remember they hung up the phone when I called them in English.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

Hehe, that plane was my parking neighbour at the EBZR fly-in last weekend. Were you among the crew then, whom I had a nice little chat with?

Yeah, we have met! On our left side there where two SV-4E (OO-KAT/OO-SVT) and on our right side there was a white ULM (OO-G??).
It was a short trip with my girlfriend and two club-members. Both of them got checked-out on the new Robin during that short flight to/from EBZR…

Peter wrote:

I would be interested in an update on Bastia. I was there about 10 years ago. I will be flying back from Greece on my own and don’t feel like doing the same route yet again, so I might do Athens – Bastia – Shoreham.

For info:

Bonjour,

Le coût total pour une durée du 30/08 au 04/09 est de :
1*23,06 + 4*9,36 = 60,5€

Bien Cordialement
Mob +33 683 57 53 61
Fax +33 495 37 03 89
Mail [email protected]

I’ll get back to you with an update on the current fuel price! I do remember that last year they had an issue with the fuel supply?
We better check all the Notams before we depart from Cannes to Bastia!

Last Edited by polaris at 25 Aug 12:23

Thanks, Polaris.

BTW, avoid Calvi unless you want your aircraft covered in abrasive sand Bastia was a proper airport and the city was really nice.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Polaris,

I was in bastia few days ago. I updated you-fly.com for Bastia. But fuel speaking I was surprising because taxe level for petrol is a bit less than France metro. (1.9 €/l avgas).
Corsica is a really nice place to fly.
opposite of Peter, I prefer Calvi because of town and location. I parked on the grass part and I was quiet well protected from sand. But Bastia is great too.

My best trick in bastia : when you land after sea crossing, avgas is not always your first necessity. There is hidden toilets in front of your plane when you are refueling in the “Aviation Générale” old building. i’m sure you will think about me ;-) very important aeronautic aspect !

PPG

PS : good restaurant in France : test Montelimar Ancone, but manage it in advance in your weight and balance calculation !

PPG
LFNV

PPG wrote:

France metro

To those who wonder: “France Métropolitaine” iow “mainland” France (excluding Corsica, St Pierre & Miquelon, La Réunion … )

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Among other rebates Corsica charges 13% vat on fuels as part of their special “insular” fiscal status.

Time for a necessary update; isn’t it? By now we are already home for a few days, enjoying my last days off!
I’ll try to get a complete write-up of our holiday in the coming days… I’ll do my best to get the first flights online, up until Mandelieu, by this evening.

We flew exactly 20 hours, including some local flights in Corsica (Corté and Propriano). For those who are curious, this was our routing:
EBFN – LFQB – LFLS – LFMD – LFKC – LFKB – LFKT – LFKB – LFKO – LFKB – LFMA – LFLU – LFGI – EBFN

I am very surprised you landed at Corte since it has been closed for a few years now…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
11 Posts
Sign in to add your message