Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Trip to Munich

Haha, yeah… A 100€ taxi per trip….

Well, maybe that won‘t make so much of a difference after all…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Munich as a city is too rich, too green and too noise-sensitive to want a real GA airport/airfield nearby. They hate GA

Actually I think they like GA but as they are rich not below 2t. The bigger stuff seems to work out well at EDDM and EDMO.

But besides that beware of major football games and airport congestion. I have seen completely congested airport ramps at major games. Here in Berlin after the 2006 world final the jets ran out of fuel on the ground waiting to get out of EDDI. They had to refuel before even getting in the air. And 2015 for the Champions League final my VFR homebase EDAZ was packed with jets which could not get into the bigger airports.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Augsburg is charming, but I would choose Munich for the overnight, especially if you have business there unless you prefer “sleepy and provincial” with the charming. The airport is quite nice.

Last Edited by WhiskeyPapa at 12 Jan 23:28
Tököl LHTL

boscomantico wrote:

What other choice is there? Closest airport for a single IFR. Trains OK if you plan to stay overnight in Munich city. If you want train to Augsburg after game a little trickier. I know from experience.

EGTK Oxford

JasonC wrote:

Allianz stadium is a taxi from EDMA

boscomantico wrote:

Given I am with my son and its a special trip I thought I would go with the least friction (and perhaps pay a little more). I was thinking taxi – would UBER work? After the game it may be tricky but I am sure I could arrange to meet a taxi somewhere?

WhiskeyPapa wrote:

unless you prefer “sleepy and provincial” with the charming

Thinking that sleepy and provincial may be best given the comments on crowding for the main football games… Any suggestions in Augsburg ?

Thanks for all your help guys…

The sky is the limit
EGKB, United Kingdom

Unti recently, Uber (UberX, that is) didn’t exist at all in Germany, as it was banned. Now, UberX is slowly coming back. They re-started budiness in Berlin, Düseldorf, Frankfurt – and Munich. Don’t think any driver would take you all the way to Augsburg though. Also, AFAIK, in Germany, UberX is not cheaper than a regular taxi.

If you plan on going to Germany more frequently, I suggest you download and set up the mytaxi app on your smartphone. Very neat.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

In theory, a Sixt rental from EDMA would nice and flexible.
In practice, you are more likely than not running into a traffic and parking issue.
Taxi mitigates a good part of it.

If you stay in a hotel in Munich, you dont need one back until the next morning ;-)

And it gives you the option of cancelling IFR ang going to EDNX if the weather is good ;-)

EDM_, Germany

boscomantico wrote:

I suggest you download and set up the mytaxi app on your smartphone

Great idea thanks for this.

ch.ess wrote:

If you stay in a hotel in Munich, you dont need one back until the next morning ;-)

And it gives you the option of cancelling IFR ang going to EDNX if the weather is good ;-)

And I really like this idea. Plan coming together. File IFR to EGMA, download mytaxi, on day and enroute consider VFR to EDNX. Thanks for the advice. Great to have the help of the locals!

The sky is the limit
EGKB, United Kingdom

ch.ess wrote:

Can you get immigration at EDNX?

EGTK Oxford

Can you change destination enroute if customs are needed for this flight ?

LFOU, France
Sign in to add your message