Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Shoreham EGKA extended opening hours

I have to say, Oxford Airport is incredibly good in that regard. Open during the week: 06:30 – 22:30 and close to that on weekends. Very helpful with those hours for business trips.

EGTK Oxford

Due to the demise of the Paris flights, the not unexpected change to the opening hours is:

ATC Service
Monday – Friday 0800 – 1900 Local
Saturday & Sunday 0900 – 1900 Local

Extensions by arrangement [I have asked what the options are]

Circuit Training (Fixed-Wing & Rotary)
Monday 1000 – 1900 Local
Tuesday – Saturday 1000 – 1800 Local
Sunday Not permitted

Fuel Availability
Monday – Friday 0830 – 1845 Local
Saturday & Sunday 0930 – 1845 Local

I do wish they allowed earlier departures. They used to run an out of hours scheme, 7am local I think, but apparently a well known local operator abused it so they just stopped everybody operating it. I am told that an airport with a Public License is not able to take action against a particular operator.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

One of the passengers on the Paris service has publicly posted saying the aircraft did a touch and go at LFAT to clear Customs.

They must have had an official permission to do that. You could not do it with passengers, etc otherwise.

Still, a big waste of fuel, climbing back up to some Eurocontrol IFR routing afterwards.

If OTOH you did a T&G at say Rouen LFOP then on a reasonable weather day you could continue VFR on the short hop to Pontoise.

Administrator

My understanding is that the UK will "never" join Schengen because EU law prohibits different benefit payouts to immigrants to the domestic population, and since the UK has a very generous benefits system which no politician dares to tackle, they feel they cannot open up the borders.

Also the UK has arguably the most useful language for that purpose... that's why my parents chose the UK back in 1969.

The UK could stick a finger up to the EU on the benefits system, but the UK tends to stick to its treaties even if others ignore parts of them.

So this is a problem we are just going to have to live with.

Administrator

Another good reason to join Schengen...

Opening hours really limit particularly business use in GA. There is an airport close to me that I would love to use but closing at 1800lcl just makes it impossible.

EGTK Oxford

Glad I am at Oxford.

EGTK Oxford

0800 - 2000 local

Swanborough Farm (UK), Shoreham EGKA, Soysambu (Kenya), Kenya

What were the extended opening hours?

EGTK Oxford

Terrible news, and from an email just received it sounds like the extended operating hours will be reviewed, which is more bad news.

Very few people used the extended hours, unfortunately - presumably because very few people knew about them, and the internet (some UK online flying sites in particular) are notorious for slagging off airports, especially airports whose landing fees are more than £5 Positive news is rarely promoted in the GA community.

However I wonder why the firm proceeded with the service - the AOC itself must have cost 5 figures - without having Customs in place.

Why the French pulled the Customs from ~ 50 airports is a mystery and looks like sheer stupidity.

Administrator
22 Posts
Sign in to add your message