Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Saturday lunch in Germany 24 October 2015

Actually the fog along the Danube almost (…) always clears around noon.

That’s EDMS at the moment (see my plane in the background waiting for the WAAS check flight)

http://www.airport-straubing.com/webcam/

Calll this number for automatic weather service in English over the phone!

+49 (0)9429-948420

What is the best alternate to EDMS, which has an ILS and avgas? I can sure do my own homework but wonder if others have any great ideas. I would need to stay overnight if I divert there.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

EDMA is the closest and probably best, or EDDN (Nuremberg)

LOWL would also be an option and probably cheaper than Augsburg. But too far away for Flyer59 to pick you up I guess. But it’s never a bad idea to have multiple options.

I don’t know, but I am always very wary of the weather in the very southeast of Germany… it is fog on 80% of days between October and March.

Also, the sunshine forecast for Straubing has graduall gone downhill over the last couple of days, from 7.5 hours down to 3 hours right now.

I would be very surprised if there wouldn’t be any weather related disruptions tomorrow… not a good choice for a fly-in in the end of October IMHO…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
EDME has PAPIs and light, no more NDB, donĀ“t know about IFR status, but training is still done for that. But then you may have one hour car ride to Straubing, depending on traffic. Vic
vic
EDME

Look at the Webcam, Bosco. EDMS is flyable now. And it really opens up on many days like that. What’s true is that there’s always fog in the morning, but on many days it’s gone by 1200 LT.

Yes, EDME is IFR to, RNAV/GPS, but no ILS.

Last Edited by Flyer59 at 23 Oct 11:05

If you get stuck I would go to Augsburg rather than Eggenfelden. I will be making EDMA my alternate. But I think we will get in.

Last Edited by JasonC at 23 Oct 11:48
EGTK Oxford

If there’s any trouble, I’ll come to AUGSBURG by car and we’ll have lunch in historic Augsburg :-)
That’s only a 50 min drive from my place

Sign in to add your message