Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fuelstop Portugal/Spain before Atlantic Crossing

Looking through the old logbooks from my P210 I found a lot of interesting flights from the previous owner.
He used it as a personal transport crossing the Atlantic, and did 2 around the world flights. A lot at night and across un-habitated areas and oceans.
It was like a flying fuel tank.

Big cojones you definitely need.

Godspeed.

spirit49
LOIH

And [[ some ]] people fret over Southend to Le Touquet

Why yes, as I always state (having had it really hammered into my pilot’s mind by more than one instructor) ALWAYS have a plan B. I too wonder what is this pilot’s plan B. But kudos to her/his/their courage!

Last Edited by at 22 Oct 18:21
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

The plan B is in any case limited when crossing the Atlantic in a SEP

spirit49
LOIH

spirit49 wrote:

Looking through the old logbooks from my P210 I found a lot of interesting flights from the previous owner.
He used it as a personal transport crossing the Atlantic, and did 2 around the world flights. A lot at night and across un-habitated areas and oceans.

My hangar neighbor installed his P210 in the Med at flight level minus 45. He was rescued by French SAR because it was close to Calvi. Well maintained aircraft, engine failed without warning.

Nobody is going to fetch you between Portugal and the Azores or on your next leg. No helicopter can get there and a ship with a helicopter will not be around. You’re finished. Odds much better on the North Atlantic route (in the warm season). Shorter legs, ships around. No ships enroute on the Azores route.

Doing this at night is just pointless, because a night ditching is going to be very hard to do well.

But then a lot of people do take amazing risks; not all of them young. I would just not do this during the night because the Plan B (a life raft) is pretty well wasted.

Russian Roulette.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well, there are probably a lot more ships out there than you think (Google Atlantic shipping routes), but pulling off a successful ditching at night is what I would be concerned about.

achimha wrote:

Shorter legs, ships around.

What kind of ships? After a ditching you are more dead than alive, even I a “warmer” season! So it is both dangerous, I enjoy the Azoren routing this evenig, hopte to continume :-)

EDAZ

I think we can all agree that its a high risk trip. No doubt about that.
But its really exiting to follow the beeps on the SPOT tracker.

WX looks good for landing at LPAZ

spirit49
LOIH

Almost there …

Looks like he stopped in Santiago despite the high fuel price.

So please tell us whet "Eric’s un-Lindbergh " trip is all about ?

Last Edited by Michael at 22 Oct 20:52
FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

Hey, you should all read Louise Saachi ’s book Ocean Flying

There are a few s/h on abebooks.com

Sign in to add your message