Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Fuelstop Portugal/Spain before Atlantic Crossing

Great trip!
Only seen it this morning here, so a bit late.
Eric (the brave) is the man; he made his mind up and simply went on his trip.
It’s not always easy to do that, but with good planning and steely resolution it can be done.
And many thanks for posting, to you Espen!

Last Edited by complex-pilot at 24 Oct 11:33

Hello, All. I’m the (apparently) crazy pilot who undertook this trip.

I haven’t historically been much of a forum participant, but some of the discussion here was interesting and I’d like to offer up my experiences to anyone else interested in making this trip. I’m slightly more active on Beechtalk (which Espen graciously cross-posted for me). Here’s an overall technical summary of my preparations. I’m happy to answer any questions that can help anyone.

Crazy Bonanza Pilot
KHWO LMML

Wow! What a wealth of information! Thanks for sharing!

PS envy for your “landing with six hours of fuel” – myself (and probably several more, round here) cannot even take off with so much.

Last Edited by at 27 Oct 15:00
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

BonanzaEric wrote:

So I ordered a Turtlepac 100. [..] I only fill to about 60G to keep under max gross

100% the setup I use, had the same thoughts about how to pump, how to connect, number of valves/fittings, spilling risks, etc. Filling the Turtlepac to 100% would put me over gross (18h endurance) but I intentionally chose the big Turtlepac because it’s not really airframe or even aviation specific and there will always be good uses for it. It can be filled to any level and when empty it’s small and lightweight.

BonanzaEric wrote:

I ordered the pump system with the tank from Turtlepac, which is basically a motorcycle fuel injector pump that plugs into the cigarette lighter socket.

It’s a fuel pump from Holley, not for motorcycles but for big V8 car engines. Well, unless your motorcycle has 350hp

My setup is a simple inline pump like yours but another pilot I know has a dual redundant setup. He bought 2 fuel pumps, put them in a plywood box in parallel with valves. His thinking was that he does not want to have a single point of failure. Another aspect is the electric system, what if your fuse blows, alternator fails, etc. I would carry a LiPoFe battery strong enough to empty the Turtlepac. For this I have determined the power draw and sized a battery. I myself do not typically go on trips where I need to extend the endurance, I only go to places where Avgas is scarce so I can pump on the ground which is why my setup does not have this full redundancy at the moment.

I am a bit surprised you went with a single pump relying on the aircraft electric system. You definitely have balls of steel!

BonanzaEric wrote:

I had a Winslow 4-person Ultra-light Offshore life raft with a double hull [..] I got a ditch bag to fill with food, satphone, battery charger, water, clothes, first aid kit, etc.

Do you have any information about the rescue options available on that trip? Even if a successful ditching can be made, would it be realistic to be found and picked up in time? When there is no landmass near, helicopters cannot help you, first ships have to drive near, potentially with helicopters on deck. I believe there are almost no ships there so I would assume that even after a successful ditching one would probably die for lack of water and/or food.

I think you’ve prepared very well and you know what you’re doing. Even though I’m a risk taker myself, I have to admit that I would not have had the guts to do this trip with the aircraft and equipment you had. In case something happens, there are extremely few options.

Many thanks for a brilliant post, Eric

I fixed the formatting issues which were caused by a hyphen immediately joined to a character triggering a special formatting action (a strike-through).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

achimha wrote:

I am a bit surprised you went with a single pump relying on the aircraft electric system.

Even if the pump had failed at the worst time, I could have returned to my point of origin. I had visions of me splicing out the pump for a direct connection and bodily squishing down the Turtlepac to force-feed it, but yeah, the only real option is to return to origin. So not an issue at all for this flight. If the headwinds had been 50kt it would have been, which was why I was so eager to go on Friday when they were only 10-15 kt.

achimha wrote:

Do you have any information about the rescue options available on that trip? Even if a successful ditching can be made, would it be realistic to be found and picked up in time? When there is no landmass near, helicopters cannot help you, first ships have to drive near, potentially with helicopters on deck. I believe there are almost no ships there so I would assume that even after a successful ditching one would probably die for lack of water and/or food.

I don’t have any direct information on rescue options. I saw one ship during the flight, within an hour of mid-flight (there were always low clouds, so I only had about 25-30% visibility of the ocean). I brought over a week’s worth of water and several days’ worth of food. Water would be the main concern. I suspect if I had radio contact (satphone, SPOT, EPIRB, handheld VHF—quadruple-redundant) and had good coordinates, something would have been arranged within a week or week and a half during which I could survive. I doubt a helicopter would be necessary—most ships have some sort of small tender that would do the job. Also, the first 3 hours were within flight distance of the Azores and the last 2 hours or so within flight distance of St. John’s, so it was only the middle 5 hours or so that were riskier.

But yes, a flight like this carries more risk than the usual flight. You just do what you can to manage it and then decide whether you can accept what’s left. Engine failure probabilities with a proven (not in first 200 hours), well-maintained, recently borescoped/oil-analyzed/compression-tested engine are, to be pessimistic, 1 in 10,000 hours (probably the real answer is a tenth of that). Operated lean of peak at a low power setting it’s probably even less. So a one in a thousand chance over the course of the 10-hour flight. Not negligible, but the odds of unforeseen weather or me doing something stupid dwarf those odds. Engine failure is the dramatic scenario the emotional side of us seizes on, but it’s not really the significant risk.

Crazy Bonanza Pilot
KHWO LMML

Peter’s TB20 would have run out of oil midway

This PA46 around the world pseudo charity youngster had an extra oil reservoir as part of his cabin tank installation and this piece failed and he had a power off emergency landing — luckily very close to an airport.

I was and am very concerned about possible issues due to the changes to the fuel system. Every modification bears a risk and it’s usuakly those we don’t anticipate which get us.

Good reasoning and planning, I like it. If I didn’t have kids I would follow your tracks immediately. Actually 1-1.5 weeks on a float with a charged Kindle sounds like the vacation I haven’t had in years

achimha wrote:

one would probably die for lack of water

We have the same Winslow raft and ordered it with a “Katadyn Watermaker” desalinator. It is supposed to keep you alive for a few days. However, I’m not keen on having to try it…

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

BonanzaEric wrote:

Also, the first 3 hours were within flight distance of the Azores and the last 2 hours or so within flight distance of St. John’s, so it was only the middle 5 hours or so that were riskier. […] I landed with 6 hours of fuel in the tanks.

At 12GPH that means 3h + 5h + 2h + 6h (LFOB) = 16h * 12GPH = 192 USG fuel on board?

It wasn’t quite that much, I was running closer to 11GPH, and It was more like 5.5h left.

GAMIjectors are beautiful things.

Crazy Bonanza Pilot
KHWO LMML
90 Posts
Sign in to add your message