Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Lunch and fuel stop somewhere in Southern France?

Originally I was planning to get fuel and have lunch at Colmar LFGA. Now my plans have changed a bit and I’m looking for a nice place somewhere in Southern France.

I know that Avignon LFMV has a restaurant on the airport and there is also a hotel. I’ve been there but never used the restaurant nor the hotel.

Are there any other places that are good to visit? I’m mostly looking for good food without a need to leave the airport. I will be flying from Nuremberg (EDDN) to Sabadell (LELL) and likely cross into France from Switzerland near Geneve.

One more detail: I understand that “lunch” is associated with a well-defined timeframe. I may not be able to reach the table between 12:00 and 14:00. :-)

Frequent travels around Europe

I think the restaurant at Avignon is not open anymore… but not sure!
I think I’d go to Cannes!

Flyer59 wrote:

I think I’d go to Cannes!

That’s a bit of a detour and even more so when looking at a potential routing that doesn’t go over the water.

Last Edited by Stephan_Schwab at 03 Nov 20:37

If you can do with a VFR-only field, consider LFNA Gap-Tallard. Stunning scenery and the restaurant has a good reputation, but I haven’t been there for many years. Mind you, the flying can be rather hectic there, with gliders and microlights and meatbombers all mixing up.

As for the timeframe: yes, French restaurants tend to be strict about this, though a bit less over the last few years. Ten or fifteen years ago you would never get dinner before 19:00! Especially at an airfield with some international traffic they might be less rigid; still I would give them a phone call to make sure.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

For something different, try this place. Wonderful. Might have to stay for the night after your meal though.

On a nore serious note, it is not too easy, since not every airfield in France has a restaurant. This is a bit unlike in Germany, Italy, or the UK. Also, airfield restaurants in France tend to have funny opening days. Plus, you won’t get food after 14:00.

I stopped at Mende (LFNB) a few times, since the restaurant is good. Only a good idea if you have the TOTAL card though.

Lyon Bron has a restaurant. Montelimar (LFLQ) is supposed to have a very good restaurant, but I haven’t tried it. Barcelonnette (LFMR) must also be great for lunch, but not quite your way I guess.

Lezignan-Corbières (LFMZ) has a very decently priced restaurant, but the AFIS is French-only.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 03 Nov 21:09
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

What about Le Castellet? Anybody been there? I wanted to because they offer F1 driving courses (one thing i still have to do before I get to old) … but I have no idea if there’s a restaurant? I think I heard about one though …

boscomantico wrote:

Montelimar (LFLQ) is supposed to have a very good restaurant, but I haven’t tried it.

People at eddh.de say good things about the restaurant. However, the AIP approach chart dated 11/15 says “no credit card, only cash” for fuel.

Another detail: I just let autorouter create a route to there. It was showing up as an IFR airport but there are not IAPs.

I assume on the A/A frequencies French is the preferred language. English would be ok too – right? I will have to work a bit on my French pronunciation. I can clearly say in French that I don’t speak French but that’s of limited use. :-)

boscomantico wrote:

I stopped at Mende (LFNB) a few times, since the restaurant is good. Only a good idea if you have the TOTAL card though.

Very tempting but as the other purpose is to fill up with AVGAS and I don’t have a TOTAL card (probably should get one too) not a good choice yet.

Definitely should get it, given how often you fly there.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

Lyon Bron has a restaurant.

According to eddh.de you also need a TOTAL card there to use the self-service pump. People have recently complained about long wait times to use other payment methods and to see a human for that.

Avignon is Air BP :-) I’ll check on the status of the restaurant there. Let’s see what else comes up.

26 Posts
Sign in to add your message