Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Where to meet up in 2016?

Schwäbisch Hall, Colmar, Anywhere in the middle seems to be best for people. The long distance trips can be kept more ad hoc. If you want a good attendance then central western Europe is the way to go. Who needs an enroute phase anyway….

EGTK Oxford

You’re not for Helgoland either, huh? ;-))

Remember that the “requirements” for the main fly-in(s) include that it has stuff to do for everyone, including (going to get into trouble here but you get what I mean ) pilots’ wives. That rules out “flying to airports”.

The location needs to be scenic and fun to hang out at.

There aren’t many in the north, especially if you want reasonable temperatures in May. That’s why I am not suggesting Shoreham for example. We would get a good turnout there – easy for the UK pilots who read EuroGA in huge numbers.

As an example, Mali Losinj was outstanding. But we did that one last year

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Flyer59 wrote:

You’re not for Helgoland either, huh? ;-))

A 400m runway? Not for me but others are very welcome.

Peter wrote:

Remember that the “requirements” for the main fly-in(s) include that it has stuff to do for everyone, which rules out “flying to airports”. The location needs to be scenic and fun to hang out at.

Ever been to EDTY? Very scenic.

Last Edited by JasonC at 04 Nov 22:49
EGTK Oxford

I was just kidding :-), Jason

Hamburg is a very good GA destination, not too expensive. Of course Hamburg has a lot to see and do, especially the harbour tour is spectacular.

What about Antwerp? They have an airport right in the middle of town, with a gorgeous 30’s terminal and the city is beautiful.

Colmar is great no question, as long as arrival and departure are during ATS hours (English).

Salzburg as well. Both fulfill the “wife” factor quite well.

I’d like to throw Speyer (EDRY) into the equation. Nice aerodrome, Customs, Fuel, inexpensive and in walking distance to the very pictoresque town. For the flying buffs there is the museum right at the airport, for the others the Rhine river and the city.

Any of these three I’d have quite good chances of attending as they are close by and on one side of the Alps.

Adam: Antwerp seems to have gone off the deep end…
http://www.euroga.org/forums/trips-airports/5008-antwerp-ebaw-requires-a-gendec

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

As many of us are likely to meet up at Friedrichshafen, which is (just about) Germany, perhaps the May one should not be Germany again but something different?

Island or mountain destinations have a lot more to offer than towns or cities. But it’s a personal thing.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Island or mountain destinations have a lot more to offer than towns or cities. But it’s a personal thing.

True but they are much more likely to fail due to weather, particularly mountain places which often have no IAP and are therefore most of the time not useable. Islands are usually pretty far away for the middle Europeans as well… And the moment an Alpine Crossing comes into the equation, chances of getting there at a predetermined day are less than 10%.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Speyer has my vote too, I’ve already flown into Helgoland, not much to do once you’ve walked around the island….

EDL*, Germany
Sign in to add your message