Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Where to meet up in 2016?

It looks like May and September work well for many people, avoiding the holiday season etc.

Any suggestions for fly-ins?

Obviously Friedrichshafen is a good one because so many people go there anyway. But that’s quite early in the year (April).

Really scenic places which come to mind might be:

Elba (island, Italy)
Brac (island, Croatia)
Pula (Croatia)
San Nicolo, Venice (Italy- grass)
Somewhere near the Alps (Zell am See was nice but very little to do there and a runway too short for many)
La Rochelle (France – very scenic and ticks all the boxes; the May 2013 fly-in got rained on, plus I suspect some will say it’s too far out to one side)

Something to think about…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Salzburg springs to mind! Rather central, can be combined with a trip further out for many, should be available to most (UL not-withstanding), city with things to do, then you got the Red Bull stuff, scenic surroundings, …

Last Edited by Patrick at 04 Nov 18:35
Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

For this low-profile pilot – and probably also for those many others who have not yet joined us here – the exact place is of little relevance. The meetups I joined, or intended to, were not too far away, announced at short notice, and at fields not too big. LFAC Calais is about as big as I can get into. And only short notice is possible due to heavy dependence on weather. Best chance is a city with some local interest, and several aerodromes of different classification. Like Praha, or Schwäbisch Hall. Perhaps even Berlin.

Last Edited by at 04 Nov 19:10
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Colmar, Berlin

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

I am with Jan that choosing venues around 300nm away for us low profile pilots, as part of the mix would be helpful. I appreciate the longer leg destinations are a feature of the site, but having some meetings quite central would be great, also with the option of either Tarmac or grass.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Innsbruck

EDLE

Helgoland island
(+ 100 h TT and no fear of short runways required)

If it’s Helgoland it’s going to be Robinson 44 for me Or a guaranteed 20 knots headwind.

I’ll second Peter M’s suggestion of Colmar. Centric, GA-friendly and a very nice town to visit.

Elba sounds nice too, but not too centric for most.

Last Edited by aart at 04 Nov 19:47
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

For this low-profile pilot – and probably also for those many others who have not yet joined us here – the exact place is of little relevance. The meetups I joined, or intended to, were not too far away, announced at short notice, and at fields not too big.

But this and a more scaled, also maybe more distant meetup are not mutually exclusive. So far, I’ve only been able to join the “impromptu” meetups and they were good fun. But that should not be an argument against the, say, biannual meetups Peter proposes.

RobertL18C wrote:

I am with Jan that choosing venues around 300nm away for us low profile pilots

We’re quite a diverse bunch, not least in terms of location. A radius of 300nm for one member isn’t the same as a 300nm radius for another member…

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Patrick you are correct, Colmar is 350nm (as the crow flies) from Andrewsfield so a good suggestion. Still 4 to 5 hours in a puddle jumper.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom
219 Posts
Sign in to add your message