Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

6-9 May 2016 EuroGA fly-in to Carcassonne LFMK

From my frequent visits to LFMK…

You can’t park on the grass

You can’t park in the ENAC area (they don’t even want you taxiing there for fuel during ops)

You can’t park on the main apron (Ryanair etc)

Pelicandrome NO!

There is usually plenty of space on the GA hard standing apron, its marked out very nicely for larger aircraft and if you stick the the marked lines would soon fill up but with 10 cooperating aircraft and ignoring the lines should be easily possible.

There is a coded gate (monthly code change, sometimes) and a 10 min walk to the terminal taxis etc past all the car hire parking. Not a big deal and avoids terminal (apart from paying landing/parking fees)

The fuel can be a bit of a pain but generally a friendly airfield with good ATC

Flying a Commander 114B
Sleap EGCV Hawarden EGNR

Just to show that not every French airport manager fusses so about parking…

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

I realise you probably posted that tongue in cheek, Jacko but that system won’t work unless everybody departs together. Also if you have a more powerful type in front of a lightweight taildragger, the taildragger is likely to get blown away backwards and wrecked – unless everybody pulls their plane forwards by hand, which is impossible on grass for the heavier types (on level grass, a TB20 needs 3 strong people… had to do that at EDNY twice, and since then I have refused grass parking there).

The “trick” (which is hardly rocket science) is to park them so everybody can get away separately.

They may not allow grass parking but one can make a lot of room by pushing everybody so the main wheels are just on tarmac, with the rear of the plane overhanging onto the grass.

I reckon Carcassonne could park about 30 10m-wingspan (PA28, TB20, etc) types in that way.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

that system won’t work

Peter you are not your usual self today – no IT’er ought to term such a chaos a “system”

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Not to defend Peter, but you set yourself up, Jan ;-)
Quoting from the Introduction to the wikipedia article on Chaos Theory: Chaotic systems are predictable for a while and then ‘appear’ to become random.
I could also post several pictures of 19" racks with network equipment…

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

tmo wrote:

I could also post several pictures of 19" racks with network equipment…

Thank you, there is not the slightest need Been there, seen that … but limited my actions to the Solaris servers …

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Hopelessly off-topic, @Rwy20 (and no blame on you) , but absolutely priceless!
This will go the rounds where I work!

Last Edited by at 05 Feb 15:03
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Jacko wrote:

Just to show that not every French airport manager fusses so about parking…

You bet!

Tight parking?

I’ll be writing to EASA to propose rulemaking:

- Everyone in connection with airport slots, PPR and parking restrictions must qualify as site manager at Oskosh during the EAA convention as well as one successful tour on a deck despatcher on an aircraft carrier.
- All ATCO’s need to qualify for rush hour traffic in the NY area (Center) and La Guardia (Tower) as well as one successfuly tour as controller on the VFR arrivals to Oskosh during the airshow before being let anywhere close a tower cab in Europe.
- All rulemakers must experience both of the above. Of the survivors, only those who come away with “wow, bitchin!” attitude qualify as rulemakers, the rest shall get retrained as accountants.
- Airports need to pay a tax on unused tarmac space every time they impose any form of restriction for parking or movement.

Honestly, i praise the Lord that He gave me the chance to visit NY ATC (both tower and TRACON) before 9-11. It’s a life changing experience, particularly if you are used to “please hold outside control zone, you are number two to land, expect 20 minutes delay”.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

C210_Flyer wrote:

Either they will laugh or know, it speaks about them

How about those who laugh keep their job, the rest are demoted to counting toilet paper rolls?

Friend of mine out of NY told me a joke years’n years ago…

A European and American controller go to the pearly gates. They are given the choice to go to heaven or hell and are lead in front of two sets of doors.

The two doors to the left were labled “Heaven (EU)” and “Hell (American)”. The two doors on the right were labled similarly.

St. Peter tells them: “As it is ATCO day today, you both can visit each place first and then decide. What is behind those doors is what you will be doing for eternity.”

Both of them were quite tongue in the cheek so they decided to visit their respective hells first. The European went inside and came out screaming in terror. The American went inside and came out with profound boredom.

Then the European went into his “heavens gate” and was heard exclaiming: “Praised be the Lord, it’s Heringsdorf Tower!”
The American walks into his and storms right in after seeing what’s in there. “Wonderful, it’s La Guardia Tower”.

Both shut the doors behind themselfs in absolute happiness.

(As in: La Guardia: 2 crossing runways with 60 movements per hour each, Heringsdorf, 2 movements per month (at the time))

Clearly this is tongue in the cheek. I am well aware that European controllers in huge majority do a fantastic job given the restrictions and regulation they are faced with.)

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message