Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

6-9 May 2016 EuroGA fly-in to Carcassonne LFMK

Once human beings start painting lines on the tarmac, they go braindead. It’s a fact.

Italy is infamous for that.

Unfortunately, some of that has also crept into France in recent years. Biarritz is the classic example. PuF is doing a flyout to (among other places in France) Biarritz this coming May. It was a big struggle and after weeks and weeks of corrrspondence, they have finally received confirmation for parking of 12 more or less small GA aircraft. And May is totally low season there! But it wouldn’t work without “stand-sharing”. Which is something airport managers hate because their SOPs say that every aircraft has to be assigned to a unique stand. So they are in breach. They might even fear liability if two aircraft collide whilst maneuvering between shared stands. That how our world goes nowadays. Everybody fears liability.

Organising gruoup flyouts has thus become a total pain in some places.

Still, let’s put things into perspective: the vast majority of French airports still operate no PPR / parking stand assignment bullshit at all. Here’s Ajaccio’s apron chart for example. Notice the “Lima” parking areas, which have no yellow lines painted on the tarmac.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Anyway, here is a google maps photo of the airport. There are three obvious aprons, with the middle one presumably reserved for airliners

In 2011, parking was on the left apron with generous space available. The only issue was that one had to leave the airport premises near the green hangars and walk around on the outside to the main terminal building. You were not allowed to walk near the apron, and dragging the luggage around was a PITA.

Last Edited by blueline at 04 Feb 17:35
LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

blueline wrote:

A pelicandrome is AFAIK a waterbomber base.

Yes, you may well be right about that

So that leaves us with the “General aviation free parking area” which is the grassy area to the west of the hard “General aviation” parking, as well as the helicopter parking. It looks like there is room for at least 12 aircraft on the paved parking, and probably 6 on the grass.

I cannot remember what the surface was like on the grass

LFPT, LFPN

looks like there is room for at least 12 aircraft on the paved parking, and probably 6 on the grass.

That’s what I mean. To me, it looks like there is space for 100 aircraft on the paved parking!!!

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

boscomantico wrote:

Once human beings start painting lines on the tarmac, they go braindead. It’s a fact.

He he. .. and get quite inventive when avoiding work for themselfs.

[Satire mode on]

Dear ladies and gentlepersons,

thank you for submitting your impossible request regarding long term parking (2 days) of your “small plane”. Unfortunately, we have no possibility to accomodate you as

- Our long term parking is unfortunately occupied at this time

- None of our parking position is labled "small airplane

- We do not have adequate handling equipment for your “small plane”

- Our program for calculating landing fees does not feature the term “small plane”.

Also we unfortunatly have no more customs at our airport as the last surviving agent has passed away of boredom last year.

There is also no fuel here, as our gas station is currently undergoing renovation.

Thank you for your interest in our airport. We wish you a pleasant trip.

With kind regards
Basil F. Airport manager

[Satire mode off]

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Chateaux cathares for your Garmin user waypoints
From West to East… (* indicates the ones really worth a photo)
Foix: 42° 57.933 N 1° 36.300 E
Roquefixade: 42° 56.328N 1° 45.197E
Montségur: 42° 52.548N 1° 49.981E
Blanchefort: 42° 56.274N 2° 18.683E
Puilaurens: 42° 48.234N 2° 17.956E
Aguilar: 42° 53.446N 2° 44.828E
Peyrepertuse: 42° 52.244N 2° 33.386E
**Quéribus: 42° 50.206N 2° 37.294E
Arques: 42° 57.190N 2° 22.027E
Puivert: 42° 55.271N 2° 3.344E
*Termes: 43° 0.138N 2° 33.401E
Villerouge Termenes: 43° 0.415N 2° 37.603E
Lastours: 43° 20.139N 2° 22.657E
Durfort: 43° 01.048N 2° 32.917E
Miglos: 42° 47.805N 1° 35.433E
Padern: 42° 52.047N 2° 39.320E
Saissac: 43° 21.413N 2° 10.066E
Usson: 42° 44.136N 2° 5.249E

ELLX, Luxembourg

> There are two potential aprons where we can park:

I see an apron named “P ENAC” next to the “pelicandrom”
ENAC stands for “Ecole Nationale de l’Aviation Civile”. They are part of the engineer school that graduates the cream of French aeronautic engineers. Your may want to try contacting them.
Also, if I’m not mistaking, Carcassonne is where the French National Aerobatic team is (was ?) based. With some luck, they might help you ease out the wrinkles with the local airport authorities.

ELLX, Luxembourg

@howald28

Thanks for that list! While I won’t be going on this trip, I’ve taken those points and added them to my GPS for future reference!

Do you mind if I distribute the list to others?

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Dear ladies and gentlepersons,

thank you for submitting your impossible request regarding long term parking (2 days) of your “small plane”. Unfortunately, we have no possibility to accomodate you as

Your post is priceless. It should be sent to every airport manager. Either they will laugh or know, it speaks about them. Either case who cares?

KHTO, LHTL
Sign in to add your message