Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How much support are people looking for on a fly-in / how to make fly-ins work

The two we have been doing each year have been very “loose”. Usually one has little idea of who may or may not turn up. And hotel booking was left to each person.

Whereas other groups have gone for a high degree of organisation, bulk-booking hotels and trips, and obviously taking a hefty deposit (hundreds of euros) to cover the risks.

My view is that the present loose arrangement is the best because we are independent and capable people, well capable of using airB&B or booking.com and don’t need to be bussed from the airport to the hotel and then to one museum and then another

But what do others think?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’m absolutely with you, Peter. While I haven’t been to the “big, official” fly-ins and rather enjoyed some smaller, more impromptu ones, I’m a big fan of the self organized way this is happening. Like I don’t take part in package tourism, I’m not sure I’d even be up for an overly organized fly-in.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

keep it loose. this is giving flexibility – even for those not participating so far…

LKKU, LKTB

I’d say hotel booking and similar arrangements are relatively unimportant unless the organiser can get a much better deal than ordinarily available to the public. On the other hand, it would help to have more prearranged aviation-related content, e.g. short courses in aerobatics or gliding, familiarisation flights in interesting aircraft (real or simulator), visits to aircraft factories or ATC facilities, etc.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Maybe a simple doodle would be nice to show who is going and from which airport. That might help others who would join if there is a seat empty.

Last Edited by Vladimir at 27 Oct 11:48
LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

+1 for Doogle!

Anybody could simply post where he’s flying, others could join

Here is how doodle can bring some information. Of course not everything can be written directly but you can enter a longer text in your name field to let others know e.g. when you are flying, IFR or VFR, which hotel you are staying, etc. The organizer can also write details in the description or in the date fields, e.g. what airports, what approaches are available, contact information (if known), handling, etc.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Doodle is very helpful. I usually use two Doodle polls to create a sort of “matrix” to not mix the “When” and “Where” decision. I.e. there will be one calendar based Doodle poll to find out the best date and another poll with all the infos about places (i.e. airfield capabilities, IFR, restaurant on-site, bla bla bla). It would be great if Doodle supported such a matrix-style poll out-of-the-box, but they don’t.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Didn’t we use Doodle before, which resulted in the La Rochelle flyin and then most of the people who voted for La Rochelle didn’t go? Voting isn’t always the best way to choose somewhere.

Last Edited by dublinpilot at 27 Oct 13:17
EIWT Weston, Ireland

I don’t really see it as voting for the fly-ins but more like following what is the current status of the people as well as who is where when. For example one of the fly-ins this year was to Croatia (if I am not mistaken) with some people going further to some places in Greece. That could have been some nice information, putting the dates and names of the places and everyone checks where he/she plans to go.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland
162 Posts
Sign in to add your message