Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How much support are people looking for on a fly-in / how to make fly-ins work

Some good points – thank you.

There are two aspects being mentioned here. One is publicising a fly-in, and the other is (my original Q) how much organising people expect.

On the former, if people aren’t going to keep an eye on the Trips and Airports section (and many people who read the forum regularly do read only one section) they aren’t going to keep an eye on any other type of site – unless an automated email is sent to the whole (or a subset of) membership every time somebody posts their plans. Or a daily digest, etc. And that is a bit impractical, especially with e.g. gmail dumping a large % of automated emails. Daily or weekly digests might be something to consider anyway for EuroGA – that’s another topic and I will start a thread on that.

On the latter, it doesn’t look like we have strong support for a highly organised event. That suits me fine since I would probably end up doing it

It didn’t occur to me that having a “destination voting website” was a major factor. We did this for La Rochelle (David kindly wrote some custom code for it) but not many turned up to that fly-in. This was partly due to somewhat dodgy VFR weather but also from comments I got later nobody from central-ish Europe would fly to La Rochelle as it wasn’t “central” enough The vote was also a waste of time because it became obvious afterwards that most of the people who voted for La Rochelle were never in a position to fly there (or probably anywhere else, frankly). That said, La Rochelle is a really super destination for a fly-in (one of the most scenic in France and the airport ticks all the boxes); we just aren’t going to get many (any?) central Europeans going there. It is about as far away as you can get, apart from the UK which has so few “scenic” locations suitable for a 2- or 3-day fly-in that personally I cannot think of any!

The Slovenia-Croatia-Greek fly-in was widely discussed in the Trips/Airports section at the time, which only brings us back to an emailed digest being the only way to go there. But I got the impression that most people who were in a position to fly there (or even to Portoroz – the first place) were aware of it. I guess we would have had more people coming to Venice (because “Venice” is “romantic”) and I dropped that only due to the film festival. Well, a few pilots emailed me to say they won’t do grass.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

On the former, if people aren’t going to keep an eye on the Trips and Airports section they aren’t going to keep an eye on any other type of site

I think there is place for improvement on most recent information about the fly-in. Your emails and the topic in the forum give a good level of detail but in order to keep track of the current plan one has to read through all of them and keep track of what is being changed, cancelled or added. The example fly-in was something like “we are going to this place, then some of us will continue to some destinations in Greece on this date and that date”. Then dates changed, then destinations were added, then fuel and the Greek crisis came along, an airfield was removed from the plan… It was difficult to follow on which date the group will go where and how many people plan to make this leg.

I am also not for everything organized but maybe a centralized place for the most recent information would be nice. Thinking about it now, it could actually be the first message in the fly-in topic which you can edit to keep current all the time. I would like something like this (the level of detail depends on the destination and what was already checked so that others don’t have to repeat it. It’s information you’ve already provided in the threads):

Topic: Fly-in Croatia-Greece
-———————————————————
Destination 1: Zagreb, LDZA
Available approaches: VFR, IFR
Fuel availability: AVGAS (ca. 2 EUR/liter), Jet A1
General: EU, customs for non-EU flights available / required
Handling: mandatory, information under http://handling.ldza.cr
Airport contact: [email protected] (only Croatian, usually no answer). Phone: 12345678, available only during the day, easy to reach. Fax: 12345678, can be used to reserve parking.
Arrangements: We contacted the airport, they know about us and have place for at least 15 SEP airplanes.
Opening times: 8am till SS
Arrival date(s): 1st Nov evening / 2nd Nov morning
Departure date: 3rd Nov morning (early, ca. 6 am)
Nice places to stay: old city

Destination 2: Athens, LGAV
….

Last Edited by Vladimir at 27 Oct 15:17
LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

This follows a bit from here – speaking of a fly-in to Greece.

The feedback I had in the past was that very few would do it – it is perceived as too far and too complicated. Well, the distance is what it is; the “complicated” bit isn’t true unless you do something quite odd. In September 2015 a number expressed interest but in the end nobody went (apart from me in the TB20, with Dublinpilot). The furthest other was one pilot who got down to Brac LDSB.

One pilot has just told me that the casual meet-ups we do are no good for trips like this and that we would need to do a “travel agency” approach i.e. do briefing/planning packs, and obviously charge a fee for that. Cirrus Germany are doing a trip down there, to Kalamata which has no avgas, so obviously a lot of organisation is going into that and the fee will be substantial (either up front or in the fuel price).

It’s always been my view that the many “going places” pilots we have here already know how to plan a flight from A to B. But maybe we would get much bigger turnouts anywhere (not just Greece). I know of other past efforts in this area. For example one UK site did a fly-out from the UK to Germany, some years ago (yes, really, UK to Germany!). Massive assistance was provided, just short of flying to Germany in a formation They had a big turnout but AFAIK the exercise was never repeated – I think the one guy behind it was exhausted.

Some things are however fairly easy. One could produce a pack of stuff including enroute strip charts (VFR or IFR), airport plates (AIP or Jepp), etc. Actually I did that for some past meet-ups; emailed or dropboxed to known participants.

But the next step – booking hotels – is difficult. It’s a lot of work for somebody, and to reduce the % last-minute dropout rate (about 50%) one needs to charge a few hundred € deposit.

Views?

Administrator

Cirrus will do their annual meeting at Kalamata, and they have (AFAIK) organized fuel! The attandance fee (including a complete program, seminars etc.) for a COPA member is around $ 225, a little more for non-members.

Flight planning and briefing packs??
That’s part of the being a pilot and flying so why wouldn’t I do that myself? Now we even have the online planner here.

Booking hotels??
If people can see EuroGA and post here they can also book a hotel via hotels.com or similar.
Of course you can always suggest a hotel or 2 that has room for those attending…

Last Edited by Michael_J at 08 Dec 12:36
EKRK, Denmark

My biggest problem is trying to get data on airport fees. For instance, Ive wasted the better part of a day trying to find out information on flying to Venice. Actually I gave up for now since the trip wont be till spring and things can change between now and then.

Being able to go to something like fltplan.com that lists FBOs with phone numbers who actually answer the phone and in 3 sentences tell you what all the fees are including fuel prices would be great.

Its great to have input from people who’ve been there as is what is happening with the trip you are planning to southern France in 2016.

Hotels to stay at can be tough. Because everyone has different levels of comfort. I have friends who prefer youth hostel type accommodations with corresponding prices and then I have friends who wont stay at anything less than 5 Star Hotels. I personally will take middle of the road but in a pinch will swing in either direction if I have too. So getting everyone to agree to stay at one lodging might be a challenge. Of course for camaraderie purposes its best to stay together. However it could be worked out that we meet for various activities and stay in separate hotels.

KHTO, LHTL

There is a chance I fly by Carcassone before next May and can drop in if you need any on the ground research. All I need would be hotel preferences of th group to help plan reservations.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

I don’t want to post much so as to avoid prejudging what others want to say, but it must be stating the blindingly obvious that with booking.com / airB&B and with serious flying A to B being virtually impossible without using the internet, getting hotels sorted out to one’s liking (and that will vary hugely between people) cannot be an issue in the present era.

The reason why charging an attendance fee like €200 (that’s the Cirrus one, I am told – it was instigated by one of the two SR22 owners in Greece) apparently results in a much higher turnout must be something less obvious, and maybe more “psychological”.

Administrator

I was VERY happy with the very reasonably priced Hôtel les Trois Couronnes when I visited Carcassonne last June. It is in walking distance from the medieval city, and close to the city center. It has a decent restaurant with a great view of the medieval city.

LFPT, LFPN

The fee of around € 200 is for excursions, bus transfersm excursions, and so on, I think that’s a low price. Some people work a lot to put all that together and they even managed to a 50% discount on € 360 hotel rooms. (I don’t know if I will attend, I am actually not a big fan of organized travel …)

Sign in to add your message