Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How much support are people looking for on a fly-in / how to make fly-ins work

@fabian have you been thinking about flying to the meetup in Carcassonne/LFMK? I’m also VFR-only, based in LOLW and giving it a hard thought. If you’re interested we could fly there together or do at least the planning together?

@Dominik and @fabian : While I didn’t make it to any EuroGA fly-in so far, perhaps this one works out. We can take my plane in this case. Let’s stay in touch.

Last Edited by blueline at 13 Dec 14:53
LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

@blueline I’d be up for it! Flying with an experienced IR pilot and plane makes this trip even more feasable for VFR guys like fabian and me. Let us know when you’ve made up your mind whether you’re going or not!

@Dominik and @blueline I’m definitely interested too, see private messages :)

Fly for your dreams
LOAV

Ive been away for about 2 weeks so late to the party.

I would like to see info on the airport that will be used. I find the AIP at some airports to be worthless. For instance calling the number for the airport I get to know when Wizz air will arrive. I mean really. I dont need that info in the AIP I could google the airport and find out that info.

My biggest concern are opening hours and FEES. Something I have spent hours on trying to find out about as in the Venice trip. Hopefully if we have a flyin someone can inform us about either their experience or numbers to call that actually give a pilot information, without spinning ones wheel for 1/2 the day.

Regarding a non refundable fee Im not in favor of the idea. That includes a hotel deposit. Im pretty sure I can make most flights when in the US however here in Europe Im based at a VFR airport (LHTL) that is not even in the database for Jepp. Cant leave if IMC Since I also live in Munich part time I can preposition my plane to EDMA which is a great little airport.

What my experience has been is to book a hotel with a reasonable cancellation policy for example 24 hrs or less is fully refundable. So as long as we are informed what hotel is booked by the group if I cant get in there I would find one near enough to still participate in the activities.

I would pay for a deposit in advance for a special wine dinner tour for instance but not for a city tour or a museum tour since they are not doing anything special in preparation for our arrival.

I agree with every thing Alioth said in post #24.

KHTO, LHTL

Just think…. for a couple of hundred € you could have this

It gets quite good at 2:30

They had an avgas bowser driven there specially whereas all we got at LFMK was a broken fuel pump

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I don’t think I want all of Greece to see my bumpy landings (like the first Cirrus in the video)

LOAN Wiener Neustadt Ost, Austria

Slightly OT, but still: I happened to fly across the northwest of Greece on the 26th and it was chaos on the Athinai Control frequency. Aircraft were into long holds by the dozens (Cirrus, bizjets, liners), certainly at least in part due to the event. Interesting to listen to in many ways…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

The Cirrus event in Kalamata gathered some 40 Cirri.

Picture I took on Sunday afternoon of Kalamata apron as we were taken a promo flight tour with the top of the line full extras 1m worth G5 Cirrus SR22 from their sales rep.

The set up of the exhibition in the Hangar and the festivities was done by a Communications/Events organizing company.

The Conference and accommodation took place in this high end resort, one of Greece’s best.
http://www.costanavarino.com/

@boscomantico what you heard was the inbounds coming in all of them IFR from Croatia (some 20~25 airborne at same time) and due to the arrival flow and the arrivals & departures of the Kalamata charter airliner traffic they had to be separated by En Route ATC for arrival sequence. Even if its a light aircraft, as you know, ATC will deal with it purely on sector/airport flow limits basis.
If some of them had canceled to proceed VFR they would have been luckier but you don’t take that decision easily if you are not familiar or prepared for VFR flight at a foreign airport.

LGMG Megara, Greece

Assuming 40 aircraft and say 2 persons average, and from here that’s 80 people which would bring in around €18000 for the organisation.

That (€200/person, plus) seems to be a common rate. I can think of two type-specific fly-ins which were done recently and also around that rate.

Clearly people do pay it, but then somebody has to deliver a “reception” which looks like it’s worth the money.

Then you get a good turnout – partly because it looks like you are getting something and partly because not many people want to throw away €200+ per person by not turning up.

If you watch the video, the Cirrus fly-in scene is more of a “lifestyle” event than a simple pilot meeting.

If someone here on EuroGA wanted to do something like this and thinks they can make it work, they should feel free to suggest it and organise it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message