Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How much support are people looking for on a fly-in / how to make fly-ins work

Having just returned from organising another successful ‘Fly Out’ (in initially atrocious weather!) to Overnighter_Chartres_pdf and having also ploughed through all the entries in this forum page(!) perhaps a few simple comments might help:

• The venue must, I believe, be a ‘Tour In’ as well as a ‘Fly In’. This is particularly to attract partners.
  • The distance must be reasonably flyable for low-hour pilots to attract.
  • The field need not necessarily be Instrument rated but doable.
  • The date must be announced well in advance.
  • Hotels must be booked by the people themselves who are coming. We used a chain/system that allowed cancellation/change without penalty. This proved a life-saver this time.
  • A group meal should be attempted but people must recognise that a successful attendance creates problems: I booked a restaurant for 25 – only to have to cancel it because weather meant most people didn’t get there until the second day – when getting a table for 17 on the Saturday night was impossible. Hence they ate in groups; but we had pre & post meal drinks together.
  • I use a WhatsApp page for those who say they are coming. This proved invaluable when dealing with delays, weather reports and gathering people together at short notice in Chartres.
  • Useful to have an ‘attraction’ – this case a talk on the cathedral – which is ‘optional’, so in the end everyone comes!

Although we had 12 planes/25 people initially booked, we ended up with 9 planes/17 people. Not bad in the circumstances.

Last Edited by Peter_G at 02 May 16:40
Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

I think the problem is evident

Looking at some detail, some things maybe worth trying are:

• not set up a messaging group for a fly-in until it actually starts; that keeps the forum thread active, especially if one posts a list of aircraft+nicknames currently going
  • most people won’t go until they see a number of others going, and setting up a messaging group early just kills the forum thread
  • many people never join a messaging group
  • use Whatsapp instead of Telegram?
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Dan – I don’t think we disagree. But, I’ve met you and I don’t think you are the typical GA pilot. You have organised your life for copious free time – something which takes many years to set up. And I’ve done the same. But this is not usual.

I’ve posted many times what makes a fly-in work or not. This search digs out various threads. More specifically, here and some others.

Yes, Andorra was great. It’s a very special place; not common. Aart is planning another one to LECD (was tried in April 2018 but died due to wx, and we had quite a nice one at La Rochelle instead).

Your list is spot on too.

I did all the fly-ins (we used to do 2 a year; one May and one September) except one in Sicily in 2021; I got as far as Dubrovnik and was stopped by a TS around Sicily. I can make a list of why each one worked; the list would be similar each time. The usual stuff has already been posted many times, but the extras which really made them bigger were individuals doing local stuff e.g.

• Carcassonne 2016 – @Nestor digging a load of people via the FFA (?) and organising a restaurant for the large number
  • Elba 2018 – @AfricanEagle doing a similar thing there

Can I hand this over to someone to organise?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

And if say 50 are “interested” then the fly-in dies because almost no place can park 50.

Complete nonsense @Peter, and the best way to scare eventual candidates away, well done
For one thing, 50 “interested” will lead to 1 up to maybe 20 attending. Now I have difficulty to call out fields not providing that capacity, out of high season that is.
As for ““going places” pilots having dropped out during covid”, that has been mentioned quite a few times by now, but is certainly not constructive for future fly-ins.

But what about looking back at the successful EuroGA fly-ins of the past? If you took part in some, please list them, and try to remember what made them great. This would provide some tools for future events.

I’ll start, and it’s gonna be real quick since I only attended the Andorra–La Seu d’Urgell, 16-17 October 2021.

1. location. Attractive since most had not been there previously, making the destination “exotic”
  2. group reliability. Means we knew in advance that a few people would fly-in. Most of us won’t be going if there will only be one other isolated flyer going. I even covered my rosy buttocks by asking a trusty brother in arms to join with his steed
  3. the airfield itself. IFR capable for those unable to VFR, and concrete for those unable grass or other surface. Parking capacity of 50 would probably have worked nicely
  4. out of airfield attraction. A city gives numerous opportunities. Choice of hotels, restaurants, eventual places to visit for those so inclined
  5. popular people promised to join… in this case Peter & Aart, whom I had communicated with, but was looking forward to meet face to face
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Let me re-phrase it.

The greatest single issue is not getting enough people; with a decent destination and promotion we usually can. The main challenge has been, as described, not getting people who are basically just dreaming.

This is because somebody needs to organise it with the airport – fuel and parking. Individual pilots are never going to be doing that; it would not make sense. And if say 50 are “interested” then the fly-in dies because almost no place can park 50. It can collapse completely because once parking becomes questionable, almost everybody drops out.

There are secondary challenges, to do with so many “going places” pilots having dropped out during covid.

Administrator

I can’t imagine getting on CAT to go somewhere to talk about the hobby I’ve just left behind.
Especially when it’s costing me money sitting there.
My journey to the airfield is a fraction of the time and cost to Gatwick or Stansted.
We all have so many variables to consider, and life is getting more complicated for most people, not less.
I don’t think there is a secret formula to be discovered. It is what it is.
Some destinations/timings/wx will work out and some won’t.
Within the scope of what is likely to be done, I’m not convinced there’s much to be done, to specifically induce a greater turn out.

United Kingdom

That is true, although predictably some of the best fly-ins have been ones which are much less airline-accessible.

A classic case is Mali Losinj. We had a great one there in 2014. But a recent attempt got a zero response (after a mailshot!). A lot has changed e.g.

• Since about 2008, EuroGA has put the Croatian islands on the map, and half of Germany/Austria/Switzerland has been there as a result, and goes there regularly
  • A lot of old-timers who “went places” dropped out during covid
  • It wasn’t pushed anywhere else
  • A lot of people don’t “get the plane out of the shed” until May

Similarly, Brac is another destination which produced a great fly-in in 2016.

Administrator

Dan wrote:

I’m sure some will agree, and some, mostly owners, will not be interested. I for one will certainly not board some stinky airliner to fly to some place in EU, when I have my own steed

Indeed, and very understandable. But I suspect that if we look, we might be able to find locations that fit both. Those who can fly there, can do so knowing that they won’t be the only one there, given that there should be some members who will arrive by CAT/Rail/Road.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

dublinpilot wrote:

But I wondered, would there be an interest in doing a “meetup” rather than a “flyin”? That is, as a group, meeting up somewhere that is well served by loco commercial traffic where people were encouraged to “get there by any means possible” rather than simply fly in?

I’m sure some will agree, and some, mostly owners, will not be interested. I for one will certainly not board some stinky airliner to fly to some place in EU, when I have my own steed (yes I’m lucky, but I made most of the choices myself during my life )…
Loving to fly, I wanna fly A fly-in, as for instance a EuroGA one, just gives me the excuse to plan, and undertake the flight, having a goal in mind, a mission. Meeting people once arrived is just the icing on the cake.

Peter wrote:

I think some nominal amount like €20-50 would limit the size of the group to those who want to come and are in a position to do so.

I still don’t think it would make a difference in the amount of the people attending. Assuming the practice is introduced here, I would still be interested in trying to make a EuroGA fly-in. But I would delay the go/no-go decision to the day of the event, or maybe the day before.

Post #129 of 16 pages of ideas and suggestions
Any way to set up polls in a part of the forum? That would give us an indication of what the majority of people think about all these brain storming results… maybe.

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Wx has proven to be the main factor. I think @ibra makes a valid point regarding sharing seats. It would make a VFR pilot less dependant on wx if he could join an IR pilot/aircraft. In the end it’s not about the number of aircraft but about the number of people joining. And there is a cost advantage that could tip the scale too.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain
162 Posts
Sign in to add your message