Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

VFR: 100 Euro Hamburger - or not

Yesterday we took a real 100€ dinner run. I didn’t think it was doable until then.
The nearest airport (LFEI, 18nm away) from my new base (LFEH) has a “routier” restaurant nearby. When we landed, the locals didn’t know it was there. But they were super welcoming (nobody ignored us !!)
Not a great trip, but a good way to maintain currency instead of just flying a local.
I put in a report in the database, with a picture to let you judge the food.

LFOU, France

An iPhone 6s

What camera were you using?

Tököl LHTL

WhiskeyPapa wrote:

Do EASA rules allow pop up IFR clearances in such a case?

Yes. But in some countries (France) it may be difficult to obtain nevertheless. A “local” IFR clearance is normally easily obtainable but presumes you stay within the same TMA.

LFPT, LFPN

Yes, SERA calls for the possibility to file in the air, so “pop-up IFR” must be possible. But in this kind of weather, IFR is really of no advantage, at least in France, because it is perfectly legal to fly VFR over the top if you have a nav source (built-in GPS or VOR). I think in the UK this was/is different? And if you had to land at an airport under such a layer, the minimums would be below CAT I, as it almost touches the ground.

In any case, the plane is not IFR equipped/certified, actually none of my club’s planes is. :(

I have also been caught above an thin undercast with good VFR conditions below and had to divert. Do EASA rules allow pop up IFR clearances in such a case? The main reason I want an instrument rating is for flexibility in primarily VFR cross countries. Great pictures and good real life scenario.

Tököl LHTL

Enjoyed the report and gorgeous photos!

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Well, as per SERA one may air-file anyway.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Would they insist on a flight plan even in case of a diversion?

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

They have published a NOTAM requiring a flight plan for every flight, see this discussion.

24 Posts
Sign in to add your message