Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Skiing near Airport Bolzano LIPB

Spending some quality time with my computer and preflight planning a possible trip into the Italian Alps for some possible skiing.

An airport I came upon was Bolzano as having a hard surface runway and an instrument approach and what appears to be an inviting atmosphere for GA.

Before I go too much farther, has anyone gone into that region and can recommend a ski mountain no farther than hour with a nice series of runs from beginner to advanced Intermediate skiers?

KHTO, LHTL

The instrument approaches at Bolzano are not available without a special ENAC (Italian CAA) authorization.

That said, one doesn’t need instrument approaches there. In the absence of frontal weather activity (in which cases you won’t want to fly there anyway), the sun always shines.

For skiing, the place you are looking for is called Obereggen. 30 minutes by car from Bolzano airport. Among the best ski slopes of the Dolomites. Enough diversity for a couple of days. My absolute favorite.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 01 Jan 15:42
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Forever learning
EGTB

Don’t know about one hour, but in two hours you can reach Madonna di Campiglio (huge, easy slopes) and Cortina d’Ampezzo (a bit more ambitious).

LPFR, Poland

I enjoyed skiing at Fai Della Paganella a few years ago, 46 minutes by car from the airport.

If you wanted go up further eastward into the Dolomites, my favorite hotel is in Arabba and that is a wonderful place… but further away.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 01 Jan 15:50

I would be up for this too

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Wow good start for the New Year. Had a few glasses of wine while trying to figure out where would be a good place to go skiing by air. Became sleepy due to the medicinal effects of the red. Put out my request before a quick shut eye and when I came back almost everything was answered. There is a Santa Claus!

Thanks for the quick responses. Sounds like this is a good candidate for skiing if and when the snow arrives.

Last Edited by C210_Flyer at 01 Jan 17:06
KHTO, LHTL

Finding snow at low levels is currently a challenge

It’s funny how all the places with zero snowfall in the last week are expecting massive amounts in the next week Or maybe that’s real? OTOH Marketing people will always book people to go on sports holidays regardless of conditions. The windsurf business used to be notorious for this. And some sites e.g. j2ski.com show a lot of fiction.

Administrator

It’s actually a tragedy for tourism in Bavaria, Austria and Switzerland. I overflew the Alps in an A320 yesterday (to Crete) … and they looked almost like in the summer! Only the highest elevations have a little snow, but looking down from the airliner i had the impression that 75 percent of the Austrian ski places have no snow …

I’ll go to Switzerland in February. In Scuol (Motta Naluns) there’ s always snow, goes up to 2800 meters (next airport would be Samedan)

My son is trying to break a leg or two at “Avoriaz and Chatel”, between 5300ft and 6300ft, so there are some places with snow, as of this evening

but even there it is very thin, apparently.

Administrator
221 Posts
Sign in to add your message