Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying through France

Sorry for all the typos in my previous post. My dinner was ready, so I committed the post before it went cold ;) I’ve fixed any I could find now

Jan, My only experience is in a transponder equipped (mode c) aircraft. I can’t comment what life would be without it. I image it would be less easy, as I get the impression that French ATC like to sit and watch their radar screen, and only intervene if it’s really necessary. But if “Watching” is harder for them to do, then I imagine they would be less accommodating, and indeed handovers probably becomes more difficult.

Initially, I thought you were indicating that the original poster has said that they hadn’t a transponder. So I re-read their post. I guess you were asking for yourself then.

But on re-reading their post, I noticed that they asked specifically about VFR cruising levels. In my experience, French ATC expect you to cruise on the appropriate semi-circular altitude when outside controlled airspace. If you’re on the wrong level, expect them to ask you why, and prompt you to change, reminding you every so often that you’re on the wrong level. I’ve had this before when I couldn’t get the right level due to a layer below and above.

As for flying “airways”, people disagree on this. I’ve never seen any advantage in it. Just fly directly where you want to go….you’ll most likely be cleared that way, so why fly a longer route ;)

Colm

EIWT Weston, Ireland

As for flying “airways”, people disagree on this. I’ve never seen any advantage in it. Just fly directly where you want to go….you’ll most likely be cleared that way, so why fly a longer route ;)

The advantage of flying those Class E routes (generally they are usable FL065-FL115 for VFR) is that they avoid all (or very nearly all) of the military airspace, so there is much less preflight work to do. Also ATC know them totally and everything just runs smoothly.

But obviously it depends on where in France you fly. East of Paris is pretty “full” on the map, in military airspace terms.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The advantage of flying those Class E routes

Where exactly do I find them?

EDLE

There is a bit at the end of here

Administrator

Interesting – thanks! I’ll have a closer look at that, since I’m almost always flying as high as possible.

EDLE

Peter wrote:

France is Class A all over, above FL200.

Technically, from FL195 to FL660, it’s a class C airspace called “UTA” (Upper traffic area). Although it’s class C, you will not get a VFR clearance above FL195.

From FL115 to FL195, it’s a class D airspace called “LTA” (lower traffic area).
The LTA is downgraded to a class E airspace above the alps, the pyrennees and when you are more than 12 nautical miles away from shore.
You will not get a clearance in the LTA of the Paris FIR (a NOTAM is published).

Last Edited by Guillaume at 29 Feb 23:12

D4P, France is a very light-GA-friendly country…don’t worry too much….have a look at the following site: http://www.francoflyers.org

As I said above, in some areas it is possibly easier on weekends….use the “Weekend View” feature of SkyDemon to see the difference…

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

For some reason I never got a clearance for VFR above FL115, ever, in France, anywhere.

Was there never Class A above FL200?

Administrator

Guillaume wrote:

Technically, from FL195 to FL660, it’s a class C airspace called “UTA” (Upper traffic area). Although it’s class C, you will not get a VFR clearance above FL195.

Are there no exceptions? I would imagine it’s possible to get a clearance for wave soaring. I have been to FL230 using a modest range compared to the French Alps (highest peak some 1.3 km). It would be a shame otherwise (not that I would want to go much higher than that without a suit).

Guillaume wrote:

Which is because VFR is generally prohibited above FL195 by SERA (and the international Rules of the Air) regardless of airspace class.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message