Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying to Portugal VFR

Some useful tips on flying to Portugal VFR
http://cavok.pt/2016/02/02/welcome-to-portugal/

Just a few questions: why below 5500ft? Is VFR above not allowed?

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

Bem-vindo Gonçalo! And thanks!

EDFM (Mannheim), Germany

Thank you very much! While we are talking of the lovely and very accommodating country of Portugal, allow me to also refer to this overview of aerodromes in Portugal.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Not sure why this doc refers to below 5500ft, I have certainly flown higher than that in Portugal. Also, it does not mention the requirement to enter/exit Portuguese airspace at designated points (typically an intersection). Does that not apply anymore? Last time I flew there was about 5-6 years ago. Great country to fly in!

Why these pecky questions regarding the 5500’ boundary? As I read the material offered, it is only a boundary between certain bits of airspace, and the associated ATC and frequency. Nothing a trained PPL’er can’t deal with, and a thousand times less complicated than certain bits of airspace in UK or France.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

As it is indicated in the link, there is no restriction over 5500ft, the only difference is the control center (radio frequency) giving FIS. It is Lisboa Militar under 5500 and Lisboa Control over that altitude. I’ve entered in Lisboa FIR several times over 5500 with no problem. If you use the wrong frequency they will told you and give you the adequate one.

Fliying VFR in Portugal is very straightforward and hassle-free.

Regarding the need to enter via an intersection, I’ve never found this requirement in the AIP, and a lot of times I’ve entered just where it was convenient for me without any comment from ATC. But is is true that for going out of the FIR they require you to specify an intersection in your VFR FPL and follow it.

LECU - Madrid, Spain

Jan_Olieslagers wrote:

Why these pecky questions regarding the 5500’ boundary?

Because of the title? Flying VfR in Portugal and after that: below 5500ft. It can be explained in a few different ways I think. So that is why I ask it instead of giving it my own explanation.

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

Vieke wrote:

Because of the title?

This is clearly explained in the second paragraph. Airspace below 5500 is controlled by the military ATC and they use flexible restriction areas and separate frequencies.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message