Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cannes LFMD

Hello
i have been today in Cannes as my original destination Le Castellet LFMQ could not do Passport check (needed min 24hrs notice)

Cannes was a very nice surprice mega friendly super fast cheap AVGAS 1,76 euro no need for any cards etc (cash, credit card ok)
they even reduced my Handling charges to 0 as they told me I was new and did not know the system they told me that if u use grass runway there is no Handling etc But i used main runway

nice place top friendly also all english is also OK
I was impressed

fly2000

Yes I liked Cannes. Very accessible. Pretty cheap.

EGTK Oxford

@ Peter_Paul
Passport Check – you did not come from a Schengen State? Is it because of this notam :

From 27 FEB 2016 0000 until 27 MAR 2016 2359

ACCORDING TO FRENCH DEPARTMENT OF THE INTERIOR INSTRUCTIONS,
AND PURSUANT TO :
- ICAO ANNEX 9 STANDARD 3.33,
- ARTICLE 26 OF SCHENGEN CONVENTION (1985, JUNE 14TH)
- ARTICLE L.625.1 OF ‘CODE DE L’ENTREE ET DU SEJOUR DES
ETRANGERS ET DU DROIT D’ASILE’ CESEDA (FRENCH CODE ABOUT FOREIGNERS
ENTRY CONDITIONS AND RIGHT OF ASYLUM),
IT IS COMPULSORY FOR AIRLINE CARRIERS SERVING METROPOLITAN
FRANCE TO VERIFY EVERY PASSENGER TRAVEL DOCUMENT FOR EVERY INBOUND
FLIGHT TO METROPOLITAN FRANCE, COMING FROM INSIDE/OUTSIDE SCHENGEN
AREA DURING THE FLW PERIOD : 2016, FM 27TH FEB TO 27TH MARCH.
FAILURE TO COMPLY COULD LEAD TO PAY A MAXIMUM 5000 EUROS
FINE PER PASSENGER IN ADDITION TO PAYMENT OF THE COSTS OF REMOVAL OF
EACH INADMISSABLE TRAVELLER
?

Last Edited by nobbi at 07 Mar 23:01
EDxx, Germany

This is really weird, but not the first time some French airport and AT personnell gets confused and tells pilots tongo elsewhere. Why did you comply?

Re Cannes and Handling: there seems to be something going on there. I have had another report of someone going there (less than 3.5 tons) abd being quoted handling. Have they really changed this in 2016? The AIP still shows 3.5 tons as the threshold for mandatory handling and there is no NOTAM that says otherwise. This would really ruin this GA airport, by jacking up the fees from ~30€ to ~90.

It’s even more bizarre they said that handling would not be required if landing on the grass. How does that have any bearing on whether you need handling??

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Although I have not been to Cannes for a couple of years I remember that the airport authority once told me I had to pay handling fees when I want to park on the main apron.
So I parked the aircraft parallel to runway 04/22 – those parking spots are on grass.

EDxx, Germany

Hmm, never heard that either. I never park on those grass spots there (terrible) and ask for a place right below the tower. Never paid any handling. But again: something might have changed on 01/01/16…

Last time I went to LFMD was 2005 so this is worthless as current info, but they told me I have to park on grass and only turboprops and jets can park on tarmac. The grass was of poor (dangerous for taxi under power) quality but Justine and I managed to push it on and off.

La Rochelle practiced/s something very similar – current as of 2014. I managed to get away with tarmac on the last occassion, by haggling with the “ops” woman at the desk at the departure hall and giving her my mobile number, with an absolute assurance that if they need to move me I will get a taxi there immediately and move the plane. She said they will have “many jets” arriving. Actually exactly 1 arrived…

Nowadays the best thing is to email the airport directly and ask. Stuff changes all the time and the AIP may be way off. Look at my Annecy fun – I must have done 20 emails with them so far, and for what? Just to check simple procedures and costs, and why 20? Because, like so many people these days, they read only first 2 lines if your email and reply with a one-liner, and I want it in writing.

I get a very definite feeling that almost zero French “club level” GA flies to these airports. They do their “social business” locally, low level, very short flights between club strips. Set up a few types on FR24… I cannot imagine people doing regular burger runs with this level of hassle.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

lfmq told me that i can not use as entry unless i request 24hrs before passport check due to the suspended Schengen

i will departure lfmq on friday and allready did request on arrival for passport check and they are now ok for it as it has been more than 24hrs

fly2000

So it is indeed that Le Castellet has gone berserk as well, and not just Colmar. They tried to play the same trick on Cheshunt and myself on our trip three months ago, though in the end they gave in so I didn’t even mention that episode, thinking it was a error by “someone”.

The difference is that Le Castellet didn’t even bother to issue a NOTAM…

Last Edited by boscomantico at 10 Mar 06:15

Annecy sees quite a few light GA movements. Just about every time we go there seems to be a Robin parked at the fuel pumps getting filled up. I wonder if they do something via the aero club?

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)
Sign in to add your message