Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cannes LFMD

just got back from lfmq depature was a bit of a non event.
despite making all copy of passports when i arrived on monday and told them i would leave on friday 09.00am local nothing was done for passport checks etc

so i had to fly via lfga colmar (send them all forms via fax and email) colmar very nice as i arrived during “lunch hour” the fuel guy agreed to refuel the plane 1,57 euro was good news 11,50 landing fee
filed fp via tel with DFS in germany and took off
once over strassburg with approach the guy tell me i have a problem as i had only a fp up to lfga i told him that i filed a new fp from lfga

he gave me all the explaination that i can not leave france without fp!! told him again that i did have filed fp!! he than later said all ok

otherwise a great flight vfr in france with no issues for restrictions and great help from all the flight info stations

fly2000

Could anyone offer an update on Cannes as a tech stop between Croatia and the UK? I plan to do it today mid-day. I will check the AIP and email anybody relevant. It says “immigration on request” but there is no contact, except the general email of operations-acm at cote-azur.aeroport.fr

Is avgas

• a bowser
  • a fixed pump manned by someone
  • a fixed pump with an AIR BP machine with French menus
  • something else

I have mastercard and AIR BP but found AIR BP machines in France impossible to use since even though the machine recognises a UK based card, it still presents most menus in French, so it’s a case of whether one can find someone who can help.

The notam contains nothing of relevance.

EDIT: I got this, very fast: “Regarding refuelling, you need to go to the self service station and one of the guy from the BP office will help you with that.”

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

With your wingspan, you are supposed to to taxi to the fixed fuel station. Make sure you taxy to the correct one and facing the right direction. They take this seriously in Cannes. It’s all described in the VAC.

IIRC, one pump is for credit cards, the other is for BP cards. Last time I was there, I couldn’t get the credit card pump to run inmediately (rejected my cc, or something).

Bigger aircraft are supposed to be refuelled at the parking position, with a bowser (and pay 10€ extra IIRC). I don’t know if you can elect to do this even with a small SEP, especially if you are merely on a fuel-stop anyway.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

There is a mandatory briefing for LFMD that you need to sign off on on-line.

Concerning fuel, they have apparently converted to TOTAL but there is one pump that accepts credit card. That is pump W. According to the AIP there is also a bowser.

If you park on the hard apron you will be charged a 60 € handling fee, so you may be better off parking on the grass next to TWY Y. Otherwise landing and parking 24 hrs is ca 42 €

LFPT, LFPN

… there is a self-briefing for Cannes on their internet site, concerning mainly the wide traffic pattern procedure they want you to fly to RWY 17 when arriving over the coastline.
I never had problems there paying with a normal credit card at the fixed fuel station. BP office is at this fuel station.

EDxx, Germany

BTW Customs/immigration O/R and it has been reported they require crew/passenger details in advance for all international flights (incl intra-Schengen)

LFPT, LFPN

I will cancel IFR on the way. Is this still applicable? I got about 5 auto generated emails with a “myhandling” login; I had seen this sort of thing before at Annecy. What happens if you arrive VFR? Wx looks OK: LFMD 120200Z 1203/1303 28015G30KT CAVOK BECMG 1219/1221 VRB03KT

I did send them my details re immigration, and nothing has come back.

There should not be any need to go on grass if there is a fixed fuel station, because any such grass would be mud pretty quickly. Those surfaces “must” be tarmac, surely?

Google maps shows what looks like two fixed pumps and it is all tarmac

It also looks like one cannot access any pilot briefing without creating that handling login. Weird!

If the landing is not cleared I will divert to LFLL. But the airport has already replied with acceptance.

I have this for RWY 17

Administrator

Reading the AIP the briefing requirement applies to VFR and IFR alike. It is really easy to do. Just create a login, enter your details, read the briefing, sign off and you’re done. I recommend you do read the briefing.

The grass thing applies only to parking Golf.

LFPT, LFPN

I don’t think you will have any trouble at Cannes although I have heard that security can be tight. I see they have a restaurant called the Escale Gourmet which might be worth trying. Otherwise the Campanile Hotel restaurant is only a short walk. Doubt if you will have a parking problem. As Bosco says you should draw up to the pumps from top to bottom N>S.

Simon

Last Edited by simon32 at 12 Sep 07:20

Thank you all… This is supposed to be a fast fuel stop only; I will bring my own food for the flight

I did the login, downloaded the briefing (which seems to just be a verbose version of the above Jeppesen page, LUXUS – PIBON and left base to 17) and got a nice certificate

Administrator
Sign in to add your message