Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

New-York (NY) skyline from a plane

Hello !
As mentionned in my question on this blog (Any tips for a flight school in NY area), I went on holiday to NY for a week. On top of picking up my FAA license I wanted to see the sky-line from the air. Due to time constraint I had no time to perform a BFR and opted to rent a plane with instructor at Air Fleet Training at KCDW.

It was great experience and I wanted to share a few pictures my girlfriend made during the flight which was KCDW – Down the Hudson – Liberty Statue – up the East River – cross Central Park – overhead Teterboro – KCDW.

Air Fleet Training can be reached in 30min from NY by bus and they were very friendly and helpfull…. I recommended them !

Any comments & remarks are welcome !

Last Edited by jfw at 15 Mar 21:02
jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

Thank you for the report and the outstanding photos, jfw.

Your girlfriend is a very good photographer. Am I right that they were taken through an open window? I don’t think I have seen anything that clear otherwise.

BTW you can upload bigger ones. The server downsizes to 925 pixels wide so you can downsize to 925 if you like before uploading.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Actually not… they were taken from the inside of a C-172S…. Thanks for the compliment for my girlfriend
Concerning the size, I did not want to overload the server with big pix…

Last Edited by jfw at 15 Mar 21:22
jfw

Nice photos :)

EIWT Weston, Ireland

OK; I have noticed the reflections in the windows. Clean windows nevertheless

There is no issue with server loading nowadays. I think the max file size is 20MB but there is also a timeout on the file upload of a few minutes, which sets a more practical upper limit – it’s in Posting Tips. I normally upload 925px wide, or whatever size I have if I can’t downsize.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Great pictures!

Did you do the Hudson river on the Skline route with ATC clearance? The pictures look as if taken from about 2000ft. I did try both and I recommond also doing the lower level Hudson exclusion. It is a special sight looking up at the skyscrapers from the cockpit. Next time I have to try the east river – central park routing with a clearance as you did.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Sebastian_G wrote:

The pictures look as if taken from about 2000ft

well indeed… Down the Hudson was at 2000 ft at the Liberty Statue we went down till 1500 ft and remained there up the East river & Central Park.

jfw

What amazing pictures, thank you for sharing!

UK, United Kingdom

Thanks for the great pictures! This is definitely on my bucket list! How long was the flight? And how much did you pay (aircraft + instructor) in the end? I’m asking because flights offered as sightseeing flights are usually totally overpriced.

Last Edited by Dominik at 16 Mar 13:57

@Dominik:
The flight was exact one hour.

The cost was 175$ for the plane (incl. pre-flight checktime & fuel extra charge) + 60$ for the instructor + 20$ for the rental of 2 headsets = 255$
To be complete you also take the cost of the bus from NY into account :-)

Last Edited by jfw at 29 Mar 15:37
jfw
20 Posts
Sign in to add your message